I was talking with an "old friend" here on G+, last week about "...the need to belong to a certain community or group."
I am actually interested in the science behind that.
So what, exactly, is the need to belong?
Belongingness, refers to a human emotional need to affiliate with and be accepted by members of a group. This may include the need to belong to a peer group at school, to be accepted by co-workers, to be part of an athletic team and to be part of a church group, or to be part of a community/group here on G+. It involves more than simply being acquainted with other people. It is instead centered on gaining acceptance, attention and support from members of the group as well as providing the same attention to other members.
So, for me, I have to say that I don't have that need. Not interested to be accepted in groups or communities and frankly I like to be reckless and break the rules. Most of the people are boring and honestly I'm not interested to share ideas or brainbridges with them.
Some minds are simplistic and simply not my type of "neurolust".
But let's get back to belongingness before everyone thinks I'm full of myself ;)
In social psychology, the need to belong is an intrinsic motivation to affiliate with others and be socially accepted. This need plays a role in a number of social phenomena such as self-presentation and social comparison. This need to belong to a group can also lead to changes in behaviors, beliefs and attitudes as people strive to conform to the standards and norms of the group.
For example, people often present themselves in a particular way in order to belong to a specific social group, and I've seen this here on G+. It's a bit boneless I'd say. I see it as some boring personal form of advertising...but that's just me.
People will also spend a great deal of time comparing themselves to other members of the group in order to determine how well they fit in. This social comparison might lead an individual to adopt some of the same behaviors and attitudes of the most prominent members of the group in order to conform and gain greater acceptance.
That's also flamingo sh*t. I mean, come on!!! adopting someone else's behavior and attitude is idiotic. Use your friggin' brain and be yourself!
Why the Need to Belong Is an Important Motivator?
Oh that's simple...by belonging to a group, we feel as if we are a part of something bigger and more important than ourselves.
Here's the question:
Do you belong to a group/community here on G+? and if you do belong to a G+ group, why did you joined?
#personalnonsense #belongingness #humans #emotionalneed #psychology
Eventually, officials deployed the robot to gain a closer view of Bunge’s hideout. The camera showed him on his stomach, with his rifle at his feet, Ewell said.
To seize the firearm, they hatched a plan that relied on distractions. Deputies in an armored vehicle approached to the front of Bunge, yelling at him through a public address system to surrender. A helicopter whirred overhead.
From behind, the olive-colored robot approached and extended its claw into Bunge’s hideout.
"The robot was able to move up and grab the gun without him noticing,” Ewell said. “He never knew it happened.”
Deputies quickly reversed the robot and recovered the gun. Then, they sent the device back to the berm and had the robot grab the wire fencing, exposing Bunge’s hiding spot.
"He only realized the gun was gone when the robot returned to pull down the wire,” Ewell said.
Bunge surrendered immediately.
Also TIL: fentanyl and how/why it can wreak havoc.
Please comment and send HO with which Narnia code you have and how much $ you'd like for it.
- Parker InnovationsFounder, 2006 - present
- American Student AssistanceSr. Web Developer, 2012 - 2013
- Iron Mountain IncorporatedUI Developer, 2011 - 2012
- Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.Programmer, 2009 - 2010
- Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.Web Developer, 2009 - 2009
- Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.Sr. Business Analyst, Web Developer, 2006 - 2009
- Dr. Dan's Integrative Pet HospitalIT Director, Web Developer, 2006 - 2007
- BancTecLevel 1 PC Technician, 2006 - 2006
- Northern Essex Community CollegePeer Tutor, 2005 - 2006
- L-3 Communications (Security & Detection Systems)Software Engineer, 2004 - 2005
- L-3 Communications (Security & Detection Systems)Systems Engineer, 2003 - 2004
- L-3 Communications (Security & Detection Systems)Technical Writer, 2003 - 2003
- L-3 Communications (Security & Detection Systems)Technician, 2002 - 2003
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & DefendersWeb Developer, 2001 - 2002
- Youth Tech EntrepreneursCoder, 2000 - 2000
- Youth Tech EntrepreneursWeb Business Project Manager, 2000 - 2000
- Massachusetts Department of EducationAssistant Web Administrator, 1999 - 2000
- Employment Resources, Inc.Employee, 1999 - 1999
- Imaging TechnologiesPrinter Technician, 1998 - 1998
- Youth Tech EntrepreneursWeb Business Co-founder, 2000 - 2000
GAT/CS/CM/E/IT/MU/P/S/SS/TW/O d-(--)>--- s++>:++>- !a C++++$ ULCX++(+++)>++++$ P++$>++++ L++(+++)$>++++ !E---(-) W+++$ !N o? K--? w++$@>--- !O M(+)$@ !V PS+++(++) PE(--) Y++>$ PGP+(++)>+++ t+(++)>+++ !5 X+(++) R(+) tv+ b+ DI+++ D+++ G+ e+>++++ h---->++ r+++ y++++**>+++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
- Somewhat of a Google "fanboy" since The Year Two Thousand.
- I have long hair and a long beard. Influences include (but aren't limited to)
- Music is life
- metal (in no particular order: heavy, thrash, power, prog, death, black, nwobhm, industrial)
- classical (in this exact order: baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist)
- whatever genre(s) Nine Inch Nails is
- video game music (I ♥ OCReMix)
- novelty geek/nerd music, any genre; examples:
- Weird Al: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw
- Symphony of Science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc
- A Capella Science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rjbtsX7twc
- I have played...
- french horn / mellophone
- baritone horn
- cymbals (hi-hat, clash, sizzle/ride)
- marching bass drum
- Good without god(s); agnostic atheist, with appreciations for:
- The philosophy of Yeshua ben Yosef, of Nazareth (without the Yahweh/Jehovah part)
- Norse mythology
- Greek mythology
- Anton LaVey is my homeboy \m/
- Politics: Libertarian. Anarchist. Socialist. Voluntaryist. Egalitarian.
- The philosophy of Yeshua ben Yosef, of Nazareth (without the Yahweh/Jehovah part)
- My Test Results:
- Like Stephen Colbert, I don't see skin color. I also don't see hair color, eye color, nationality, race, heritage, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, handicap, disability, weight, height, or any other purely circumstantial aspect of an individual. I just see people; namely, their personalities and their decisions.
- Everyone deserves a chance. Discrimination of any form is not allowed in my stream. If I see it, I'll block it. (This includes <circumstantial characteristic>-only events, fundraisers, charities, etc.! One demographic is no more deserving than any other.)
- Science-based interests include (and I would like to have PhDs in)...
- Computer science
- Organizations I support (financially as well as philosophically)
- Free Software Foundation
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Free State Project
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
- Center for Inquiry
- James Randi Educational Foundation
- Target Career Venues (aka "Dream Jobs") in pseudo-random order:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Square Enix
- Northern Essex Community CollegeComputer Science, 2003 - 2006
- Bunker Hill Community CollegeComputer Science, 2001 - 2003
- Malden High School1997 - 2001Grades 9 - 12
- Malden Middle School1995 - 1997Grades 7, 8
- Belmont Elementary School1994 - 1995Grade 6
- Lincoln Elementary School1989 - 1994Grades 1 - 5
- A Drewicz Elementary School1988 - 1989Kindergarten
TeamViewer for Remote Control - Android Apps on Google Play
TeamViewer provides easy, fast and secure remote access to Windows, Mac and Linux systems. TeamViewer is already used on more than 200,000,0
Dark Sky - Hyperlocal Weather - Android Apps on Google Play
Dark Sky is the most accurate source of hyperlocal weather information. With down-to-the-minute forecasts, youâ€™ll know exactly when the ra
Google Calendar Helps You Stay On Top Of Your Exercise And Skill Goals [...
Our lives keep getting busier every day and that's not an understatement. If you've been wanting to learn a new language or practice a new h
Question2Answer - CKEditor and SyntaxHiglighter Integration » INFORBIRO ...
Question2Answer - CKEditor and SyntaxHiglighter Integration by Inforbiro (www.inforbiro.com)
Hacking Brain Possible with DARPA’ New Targeted Neuroplasticity Training...
DARPA plans to hack the peripheral nervous system and American security officials and spies For the defensive purpose, it is very important
Hub Keyboard, Preview - Android Apps on Google Play
Isnâ€™t itÂ painful to switch between apps just to complete your routine on-the-go tasks? Hub Keyboard, a Microsoft Garage project, lets you
Berkeley Building Weather Beacon (Old John Hancock Tower)
The old Hancock Weather Beacon, a Boston landmark that brightens the Back Bay in summer time.
LampShade.io for Hue & LIFX - Android Apps on Google Play
LampShade provides convenient and useful controls for smart home lighting. Currently supports: Philips Hue, LIFX (beta)LampShade.io lets you
TED: Learning Comes With Compromises « Android.AppStorm
I'm a huge fan of TED Talks. I don't know too many people who aren't fans of the service, and I'm jealous of my friends who managed to find