- Lancaster University, School of Computing and CommunicationsResearch Associate, 2014 - present
- Lancaster University, School of Computing and CommunicationsTeaching Assistant (Practicals & Tutorials), 2010 - 2013
- Lancaster University, CesagenSoftware Developer (Intern), 2009 - 2009
- Greggs of CumbriaSales Assistant + Sunday Man, 2007 - 2008
- Sodexho DefenceMess Hand, 2006 - 2006
My research interests lie in exploring software engineering for the betterment of society, in particular healthy ageing. My current focus (on the SAMS project) is on the early detection of mild cognitive impairment and neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, to enable earlier treatment and better quality of life. This is achieved through passive, opportunistic monitoring of computer users. Software captures participants’ interactions with their computers, for example collecting: mouse movement and key presses, application interactions, text analysis etc. Detecting dementia earlier can lead to improving the long term outcome of (e.g.) Alzheimer disease, and earlier treatment of other disorders such as depression, anxiety and other underlying medical conditions. Going forward I will be exploring the broad area of healthy ageing, specifically from a computer science and software engineering perspective. I have a strong interest in applying various techniques to complex problems in the Healthy Ageing field, and thrive in collaborative scenarios.
My PhD research explored the education of software engineers using a studio-based approach. This thread of research was grounded in transferring knowledge of design education (architecture, product design, art etc.) into a software engineering context. This also relates to a broad interest of collaboration in software development teams.
I am a digital innovation researcher (Ph.D. student), and part of the first cohort of the HighWire DTC. My background is in Computer Science and Software Engineering, and I have been immersed in cross-discipline research during the PhD and research positions since. I have a wide and varied interest in computer science and software engineering including healthcare technologies, healthy ageing, HCI, collaborative technologies, interactive systems, and software engineering education.
- Lancaster UniversityPhD, 2010 - present
- Lancaster UniversityMRes - Innovation in the Digital Economy, 2009 - 2010
- Lancaster UniversityBSc (Hons) - Computer Science with Software Engineering, 2006 - 2009
- Cricklade CollegeBND - IT Practioners (Software Development), 2004 - 2006
"Security Lancaster at Lancaster University is gathering information to describe the typical deployment of SME networks in order to assess the effectiveness of Security Tools with regards to the general-case.
As part of this study, this questionnaire has been developed to access a broader source of data on "Typical" SME network configurations."
Any exposure of this would be really appreciated, as the deadline is short, and data is sparse; even if you can't fill out the survey, a re-share would be excellent!
(Its a new feature Google is rolling out, and there is 2GB incentive for people to try it in the first month)