This weekend I ran the smoke test on a 1923 Freed-Eisemann NR-5 neutrodyne receiver that I've been restoring. There was some electrical damage and some mechanical damage to the chassis that I took care of. Bringing the luster back to the cabinet will come soon.
After the smoke test I threw up a short wire antenna in the shack and was able to pull in a local station (two actually, but a bit more on that in a minute). This was a strong signal, only a few miles away (one of my modern transceivers pulled it in using a dummy load), so I expect the antique radio will perform admirably with an exterior antenna, or at least an antenna that's above the basement.
The signal that I pulled in was at 1480kc (sorry, but with a 1923 radio, using Hz seems somehow wrong
) but without adjusting the dials, another station at 1400kc (also local) came in and was briefly even stronger. A curious thing was the amount of power I provided to the filaments seemed to determine which signal was stronger.
The "cleanest" audio came from listening straight from the detector circuit, but that obviously was also the quietest. With each audio amplifier stage, the signal became louder (as you would expect), but each audio stage also introduced a buzz -- listening to the 2nd audio stage, the commentators' voices seemed blurry
Boy, working with solid state is so much simpler than working with tubes. But solid state doesn't glow in the dark :) (or at least it shouldn't) (except for LEDs). #TubesRock #HamRadio #AntiqueRadio