Watched a lot of movies these days. Here you got some reviews:
- Nightcrawler: Excellent. Jake Gyllenhaal is the new American Psycho.
- Theory of Everything / Entdeckung der Unendlichkeit: Better than expected, tears rolled. Still very Hollywood.
- Birdman: Technically and story-wise masterfully executed. Meta-story is a bonus. But did not exactly shake me out of my boots (too high expectations).
- Frank: Brilliant and very fresh, especially the music.
- Only lovers left alive: One of the 5 best movies of 2014. Stoner-rocking adult vampires who would hate "True Blood". Nothing more to say.
- Whiplash: Very good, but the montage/ training scenes were too classic. Reminded me of Rocky, just with drumsticks. Twist at the end felt a bit forced, generally a bit too predictable.
- Under the Skin: Mediocre. If you wanna see Scarlett Johansson naked and you are into weird movies, give it a try.
- Ida: Tough one, but this Polish movie is probably better than what we Germans have done in the last 10 years (film-wise). Great photography.
- Bad Cops: Surprisingly brilliant. It is super weird and trashy, but Dupieux is not for the normal-hearted. If you are weird in the head, you will like it.
- 12 years a slave: Well executed but incredible forgettable. Too much Hollywood for a long-lasting impression.
- Gone Girl: Super-hyped. Couldn't get into it. Switched it off after the first half. Can't stand the lead actor, either. He looks like the impersonification of Hollywood. And that, as you all know by now, is code for "shit".
- Noah: Fuck you for this bullshit, Aronofsky - you were my star.
- Boyhood: Nice and intimate and all, but apart from the format, it's nothing special.
- What we do in the shadows: Laughed my ass off. Good simple stuff.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Fuck off. If you like constant ripoffs of old space-themed movies, it may be your thing. These movies make me hate Hollywood - such good ideas, mashed into a very mediocre structure, cut for an even more average public. Nobody would miss it, if it wouldn't be there. But: Soundtrack rocks. Favorite character: Groot.
Bonus content (Series):
- Better Call Saul: Fucking brilliant.
- True Detective: Setting new standards. Feel hyped for the second season.