Director of Operations, 2012 - 2013
Led a team of 9 employees in capture management, business development and service delivery for all corporate operations, contracts, programs and initiatives.
* Business Development--Create qualified opportunities for new work for Federal Government contracts. Perform cradle-to-grave business development activities including staffing, pricing, capture and post-award delivery. Steer business development activities by negotiating partner contracting agreements, business development plans, capture strategies, RFI responses, quotes and proposal responses.
* Solution Architecture--Lead, focus and assist with the development of design solutions and execution strategies for system architecture, enterprise applications, network management and infrastructure.
* Customer Relationship Management--Develop Service Delivery Plans that addresses incident resolution, operational improvement and long-term support. Assess customer IT needs, identify deficiencies and provide strategic direction to ensure compliance with customer IT goals.
* Management and Operations--Enter into contractual relationships and performed negotiations with public agencies, contractors, consultants and vendors. Develop and coordinate the human, physical and fiscal resources of the company to accomplish corporate goals and objectives. Interview, hire, train and mentor employees joining new contracts or augmenting existing operations.
Birdi and Associates
Vice President, IT Service Delivery, 2011 - 2011
Summary: Rehabilitated a poorly performing team engaged in commissioning a new 4-petabyte data center for a digital Video Management System for Los Angeles World Airports. Upgraded a professional services organization of 25 employees and served as technical expert for the application of PMI and ITIL best practices.
* Customer Relationship Management--Resurrected rapport with stakeholders and set common goals for contract scope, time, budget, deliverables and milestones on a $23M contract at Los Angeles Airport.
* Program Management--Authored and standardized leading-edge project management practices including planning, forecasting, scheduling, performance analysis, life-cycle sustainment, and reporting.
* Software Engineering-Oversaw a team of engineers integrating the NICE Vision Video Management System with existing 911, Police, FBI, TSA and Airport networks in the Security Operations Center.
* Negotiation--Saved over $325K by eliminating project bottlenecks and renegotiating delay penalties.
Strategic Account Manager, 2006 - 2011
Summary: Functioned in a unique role integrating business development, consulting services and ITIL program management leadership while managing a team of 46. Led capture management, technical oversight, strategic planning, negotiations and business operations strategy development for three large federal institutions--Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration and US Navy--including several bases in Japan.
* Business Development-- Won over $14M in new contract awards. Surpassed annual revenue quotas and insulated the firm from the recession by developing a contract framework for prime clients that prevailed over competitors in virtually every tender. Received maximum bonus for achievement of nearly 200% of personal new business targets in 2009 and 128% of targets in 2010.
* Customer Relationship Management--Liaised extensively and established an excellent reputation with Federal customers through hard work, attention to detail and exceptional customer service. Grew the FAA team from 1 to 30 and USN team from 0 to 16 full-time employees.
* Management and Operations--Professionally represented company at conferences to government agencies and influenced policy regarding IT standards and solutions.
* Software Engineering-- Led a team of engineers in the creation of a supply chain and scheduling system for USMC Consolidated Storage Program for Individual Issue Facilities and Unit Issue Facilities using IBM Maximo. Managed a team of software engineers in creating a SharePoint-based Battle Command Display for all US Marine Corps Bases in Japan.
* Solution Architecture--Developed the technical strategies credited with obtaining the highest levels of wins in company history. Consulted on the design of US Navy-Japan backbone and the USMC Consolidated Storage Program Logistics solution. Helped develop the Battle Command Display solution.
* Program Management-- Oversaw PM teams in a quality/customer satisfaction assurance capacity. Led a $3.5M infrastructure initiative for the Anchorage Air Route Traffic Control Center's data center, Regional Office, and 49 additional FAA facilities within Alaska. Directed a $1.2M cyber security engineering assessment, data center consolidation and network redesign initiative for the FAA's Alaska National Airspace System network. Ran a $6M ITIL-based service catalog for the two major FAA Enterprise Data Centers in New Jersey and Oklahoma. Led a $2.4M Telecommunications contract for US Navy-Japan.
Electronic Data Systems
Senior Program Manager - Pacific, 2005 - 2005
Summary: Assembled the project management team and oversaw design, build and commissioning of $85M in data centers and network infrastructure. Internal reports included 24 project managers and 53 engineers, programmers, schedulers, analysts, and coordinators; external resources included over 1,000 strategic partner resources (primarily infrastructure professionals employed by an array of contractors including General Dynamics and Harris IT) engaged in setting up multiple data centers for the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) project.
* Customer Relationship Management--Communicated extensively with client executives to ensure their satisfaction in the quality of service delivery. Provided consultative advice and ITIL-best practices to prevent and resolve problems with the support of matrixed resources from peer organizations.
* Solution Architecture--Led the teams that designed and built infrastructure as well as those who made it operational, tested, certified and maintained inside and outside plant.
* Negotiation--Negotiated creative solutions with the US Marine Corps to expedite installation of fiber backbone while realizing a $9M savings and accelerating completion dates.
* Program Management--Improved baseline schedule accuracy and milestone achievement from 38% to 100% within six months; achieved by re-focusing, and in some cases re-staffing, operational units.
* Management and Operations--Increased employee productivity by 250% by developing the strategic plan, assigning targets and generating incentives to increase performance metrics.
* Performance Improvement--Eliminated an average of $20M per year for three years in expenses by modeling program management practices to streamline, consolidate, and enhance bottom-to-top communications & reporting and achieve aggressive enterprise schedules.
Electronic Data Systems
Enterprise Deployment Manager - Pacific, 2003 - 2005
Summary: Planned and directed activities of NMCI seat installation teams (22 project managers and 500 contractors) for all Pacific Region Navy and Marine Corps bases; generated contingency plans to address schedule revisions, manpower adjustments, and fund allocations for ITIL service delivery teams; Controlled annual budgets in the $100M-$175M range for computers (150,000), computer equipment, and personnel.
* Solution Architecture--Developed the systematic process for the NMCI Enterprise Deployment system.
* Software Engineering--Led a team of software engineers in the development of automated deployment personnel scheduling system; Automated User Orientation software; Asset Management and Tracking systems; Comprehensive Reporting system. In collaboration with engineers, led the principal design and testing of the automated deployment solution that eliminated thousands of hours of touch labor.
* Program Management--Developed deployment standards, generated implementation roadmaps & best practice frameworks for service delivery across the Pacific Region.
* Performance Improvement--Improved quality from 72% to 91%, increased seat delivery by 52,000 and reduced operating costs by 87%. Saved $26M annually through process improvements and automation.
Data Center Project Manager, 2003 - 2003
Built and commissioned $7M US Marine Corps Camp Pendleton West Coast regional data center for 30,000 users and 60,000 computers; project delivered ahead of schedule and $350K under budget
Program Manager, 2003 - 2003
Led a team of 6-8 project managers, each with 5-10 SMEs on their teams, through the construction and commissioning of the National Marine Corps Data Center in Quantico.
Technology Integration Group
Senior Project Manager, 2002 - 2003
Trained team on process improvement, high-level technical solutions, and customized reporting.
Project Manager, 2001 - 2001
Directed a European healthcare consulting research and IT contract for Bristol-Meyers-Squibb.
Berkeley City College
College Network Coordinator, 1998 - 2001
Senior Technical Manager for all administrative and student network and computer services.
Interrogator, Linguist and Intelligence Specialist, 1993 - 1997
Coordinated air operations and airport security for the President of the United States, his advance team and US Secret Service for his visit to Croatia. Acted as US Army liaison with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees on two deployments to Central Africa during the Rwandan Civil War and the refugee crises. Worked in US Embassies as Intelligence Specialist and systems administrator for the Defense Attaché Worldwide Network.