- Houston ChronicleBusiness Columnist, 2014 - presentColumnist writing about business, energy and economics for the Houston Chronicle.
- The Associated PressSupervisory Correspondent, 2011 - 2014
- The Texas ObserverManaging Editor, 2009 - 2011
- The Associated PressEast Africa Bureau Chief, 2004 - 2007
- The Associated PressEast Africa Correspondent, 2000 - 2004
- The Associated PressEditor, International Desk, 1998 - 2000
- The Associated PressNewsman, Minneapolis, 1997 - 1998
- The Associated PressCorrespondent, Kigali, Rwanda, 1995 - 1997
- U.S. ArmyIntelligence Analyst, 1983 - 1990
Since May 2014, writing a twice-weekly business column for the Houston Chronicle.
From 2011 to 2014, I was the supervisory correspondent in the Austin, Texas bureau of The Associated Press. From August 2009 to December 2010, I was the managing editor of The Texas Observer. I supervised daily operations and was responsible for the Web site.
I am working on a book and film about bigotry and racism in Texas and in the seven ethnically-influenced wars I've covered around the world.
Until August 2007, I was the AP's chief of bureau for East Africa. I worked as an investigative reporter as a contractor for AP from August 2007 to 2009.
In 2009, I was named a Fellow in Journalism at the Robert Strauss Center for International Security Studies and Law. I also teach writing at the University of Texas Department of Journalism and the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs.
I lecture across the country on international reporting and strategic communication in the developing world.
Journalism, Texas, Africa, Terrorism, Conflict, Strategic Communication, Natural and man-made disasters, Texas History, Military Affairs, Bigotry
- University of Texas at AustinHumanities, 1990 - 1992