49 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 30 previous comments
- OK, take my comments as comments purely on the T&C for Drive — I have a huge amount of respect for you personally.
The use of my content in any way Google sees fit? That's an insurmountable problem to me, Chris. It's not a language thing — it's much bigger than that. If I'm putting my client work up there, as I currently do on Dropbox, those T&Cs mean that Google can peruse the files and then use them as they'd like. There are laws that protect me from heinous wrong doing, but I shouldn't have to even think about this — my data is my data.
Sadly, I believe Google stopped being a force for good in the technology world when it started thinking that terms such as these were OK.Apr 24, 2012
- Ok. I see where you're coming from, but that's really not, as I understand it, the intention. No where do the words "in any way that Google sees fit" appear. As for perusing your content, do you think that that's actually what would happen? Do you believe that other services do similar things? I'm still trying to understand if you feel this way specifically about Google, or about all cloud hosting providers...Apr 24, 2012
- I just wrote a massive reply to this, and received an error when I hit "Post comment".
It's specific to Google. I don't believe other cloud providers use my information to provide targeted advertising (maybe I'm wrong on this).
I have no problem with storing information in the cloud — all of my important documents are stored in my Dropbox right now (and backed up three ways to Sunday). I'd be naive to think that they don't use the data I store with them for diagnostic and administrative testing — but that's where it should end.
I'm not trolling — the way those T&Cs are worded should scare anyone who cares about privacy.Apr 24, 2012
- Ok — I'll take that feedback to the team and see what they say. Appreciate your thoughts on this — just trying to get at the core of your perspective so I can articulate it clearly!Apr 24, 2012
- Let me know if you need more, Chris — you've helped me so many times over the years, I definitely owe you :)Apr 24, 2012
- #DriveForLinuxApr 24, 2012
Add a comment...