There are days where I fall head over heals in love with the Internet again and again-- This is one of them. In case you haven't been following events as they unfolded, this is roughly what happened:
A pretty heavy set man was dancing and enjoying the music, when a group of mean spirited kids took his picture while staring and laughing at him-- They proceeded to post the before (dancing happily) and after he noticed (totally crushed spirits) photos on 4chan.
A wonderful group of ladies noticed this when it was posted on imgurl, and decided to throw this man a huge dance party -- all 1700+ of them-- because everyone should be able to enjoy dancing without being worried about being shamed for who they are.
They send out their SOS to help identify and contact this man, and after 24 hours they managed to make contact and invite him -- and he accepted!
Now a huge dance party with hundreds of lovely women and tunes provided by Moby and Pharrell Williams who volunteered their time to help make this the bestest and most memorable party ever for this man, is well under way to happening as soon as he can fly over to LA.
The internet like everyone else has it's good and dark days-- this is definitely one of the very, very good ones!
I absolutely loved speaking at the How to Web conference and meeting everyone there -- check out the video
Speculation has it that the first scholars were roaming around in Oxford as early as 1096. In the many centuries since the deep musings, groundbreaking research and endless streams of rebellious, (presumably, nay hopefully) intelligent young students coming up with new nefarious ways act out have imbued it's very essence.
So it shouldn't be surprising that when my mom came to visit, Oxford had it's own day dedicated to it, and ended up being one of her favorite things of the trip -- especially this wonderful museum.
Does make doing groceries a bit trickier than normal and I can forget about ordering pizza.
Hear my song, Violetta
Hear my song beneath the Moon
Come to me in my gondola
Waiting on the old lagoon
Serenade across the water
Can you hear it soft and low
A tale of love and lovers
Singing long ago
Hear my song, in my gondola
Waiting on the old lagoon
As a starting point I looked into the estimated # of cell towers In london, which is about 23k cell towers, for a population of 8m people. Say that for WiFi you'd need double the # (after all the signal range is shorter), London would need ~50k theoretical WiFi trees.
After a bit more research I found that on average, a single leafy tree creates enough oxygen per year for 2 human beings / year -- using the estimated 50k WiFi trees, that would create enough oxygen for 100k people, which unfortunately is a tiny, tiny # compared to size of London's population.
So I think forests is still where it's at as far as oxygen production goes .. (and I wish we'd stop cutting those rainforests down)
I’m driven by a passion for societal change through technological innovation. With experience working at Google and Twitter, leading developer and consumer product teams reaching millions of users, founding and advising startups and as frequent keynote speaker. I’m an innovator that translates technological innovations into behavioral change and user focused product design.
- Crate.IOHead of Developer Relations, 2015 - present
- Fiedler CapitalChief Program Officer, 2014 - 2015Fiedler Capital Academy is a global pre-seed/seed investment and mentoring program to provide a catalyst for the next generation of young/first-time entrepreneurs to gain access to seed capital and a world-class network of mentors. Next to the day to day of mentoring our startups and running our active investment program, I've applied my passion for technological innovation through keynotes at conferences & corporate events, and creating digital / innovation strategies for some of the largest companies in Europe-- Transforming fundamentally disruptive forces into unique opportunities.
- Twitter Inc.Head of International Developer & Platform Relations, 2013 - 2014
- SnapsationFounder, 2013 - 2013
- Head of Google+ Developer Relations, 2010 - 2013
- Developer Advocate OpenSocial, 2007 - 2010
- New Amsterdam IT GroupFounder, 1998 - 2004Created Web 2.0 Content Management System, NoTV streaming video platform, and e-commerce solutions.
- Various European CompaniesSoftware Engineer, Team Lead, PM, 1994 - 2007