DSLR Controller updated to v0.99.3
We're very slowly creeping up to v1.00, it seems. I have a bit of aversion to that, as v1.00 indicates that it's ready, which software never is :)
AF system rewritten
One of the most important changes in this update is support for the new AF modes and redesigned handling of existing AF modes in the very latest EOS models (like the 70D, and all other models with FlexiZone support). All AF-related code in DSLR Controller has been remodeled, and though I have tested it extensively on half a dozen different camera models, it is still possible this has broken something somewhere. Please do let me know if this is the case.
Wi-Fi in Smartphone mode
Another awesome new feature is the capability to connect to cameras over Wi-Fi using the Smartphone mode instead of the EOS Utility mode. This allows the camera to be the hotspot, which simplifies the setup process in the field. Though beware several users report having a small external portable hotspot gives a more stable Wi-Fi connection.
As with most devices in EOS Utility mode, video functionality is also disabled in Smartphone mode (this is a camera thing, not an app thing). All other functionality appears to work as expected in Smartphone mode as well, so hurrah for that.
Additionally, Smartphone mode allows the liveview resolution to be configured (at least it does on the 70D, let me know if this also works on other Wi-Fi equipped models). DSLR Controller uses medium resolution by default (you can change this under options - bottom-right cogwheel icon). High resolution is much slower, but also much sharper. If you're using filters or using the Android device for exact focussing, I would definitely recommend using high resolution mode.
- Added: Support for Wi-Fi connections using the 'smartphone' protocol
- Added: 70D specific support
- Modified: Completely redone AF-related code to fix issues with newer cameras
- Modified: Quick mode now shows all focus points
- Modified: Tap-and-hold on "Live" or "Zone" resets/recenters focus area
- Modified: Image review on high memory devices: image no longer blanked when loading new image
- Modified: MX Player is no longer forced S/W mode. To always use H/W: change "network" decoder setting in MX Player
- Fixed: Fullscreen follow-shot no longer shows image info
- Fixed: Timed bulb shot >30 seconds now works over Wi-Fi