Last week, I had the distinct pleasure to start at Google and lead the Content and Community Management Team as Program Manager, Community Management on Google+. (I know, mouthful.) A huge part of what that team does is the Google+ Create Community, Early Access, the Collections Community, and more. While I'm still getting my feet wet with everything at the big G, I can already tell that these programs (and the ones we have planned) will be vital to Google+'s success going forward. Scary! But mostly exciting and wonderful. It's my job to support the incredible community managers you've come to know so that we can best work together and get your inspiring content in front of as many people as possible.
Now, some of you look very familiar and I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you a little story about my experience here on G+: Back on the first day of the beta, I made my first post. One thing led to another and pretty soon I was on the Suggested User List, blogging my heart out. It was a fascinating, rewarding, frustrating, fortunate experience that I'm grateful for every day. I've been a part of groups just like the ones I work on - and I hope to bring my personal experience to this role to best represent your needs and concerns. Weirdly full circle, huh?
For the next few weeks, I'll be poking around, asking questions, and understanding the state of things. My goal is advocate for your needs to the other teams here at Google, but first I need to get a handle on what those are. It's impossible to do everything (alas!), but I promise to be as transparent as I possibly can be with you at all times. I'm also a big fan of compromises and creative problem solving, so don't hesitate to tell me what's up at any point! I'm genuinely interested. I, sincerely, want to know how you think this group could be even more useful to you. Don't hold back.
In addition to that feedback, please say hi in the comments below! Here are some rapid fire facts about me to get the introductions started (in case you forgot):
- I can look at a roller coaster and tell you which company manufactured it.
- Every morning, I drink a soy latte. If I don't get it, I'm incredibly sad.
- The Mission in San Francisco is my home and nothing can make me leave it. Why would I move any further away from my favorite ramen spot?!
- I may have grown up on the beach in Virginia Beach, VA, but fall and winter are my favorite seasons by far.
- Previous jobs include: Community Management in gaming / a photo app / customer service software, Campaign Management at the Ad Council (think Smokey Bear), a fitness instructor at the YMCA, Founder of a nonprofit that failed, and barista.
- On the weekends, you can find me at a movie, concert, bar drinking craft beer, on a hiking trail, or in my apartment which I call my 'Fortress of Solitude' when I just need a break.
- My apartment fosters kittens for the SPCA.
- I went snowboarding for the first time this year after a couple off because of an ankle injury and I had the greatest time. I also fell a lot. See below.
We're gonna do great things together. Thrilled to be here :)