Writer/Photographer, 2002 - present
• Provide photos/text for regional, national, and international publications including Christian Science Monitor, TIME Magazine, Associated Press and others.
• Offer multimedia services including audio, video, and slideshows.
• Photograph products in-studio for commercial clients.
• Provide copy editing, line editing, and proofreading services.
• Maintain a daily photoblog created in 2004 which includes nearly 1,000 entries and generates 88,000 unique visitors per year.
• Designed and coded main portfolio site.
• Active participant in social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare, and Pinterest.
The Commercial Dispatch
News Editor, 2011 - 2013
• Oversee the newsroom in the managing editor's absence.
• Edit copy, make assignments and work closely with a staff of three reporters and two photographers to shape content and develop stories.
• Line-edit and proof pages.
• Assist copy editor with basic page design, as needed.
• Develop self-driven, long-term and short-term enterprise projects, orchestrating the writing, photography and presentation.
• Specialize in human interest features.
• Covered education, economic development and military affairs while serving as a beat reporter.
The Northport Gazette
Editor, 1998 - 2002
• Assisted with founding paper, helping develop ethical standards, corporate policy, branding, design, and community relations.
• Doubled circulation, receiving the 2002 Most Improved award from the Alabama Press Association.
• Coordinated a five-person staff, covering a 2,751-square mile area.
• Recruited and taught stringers, several of whom now hold staff jobs at daily newspapers.
• Wrote 8-10 news stories, one editorial, and one personal column each week. Beats included city council, county commission, education (encompassing more than 20 public and private schools), sports, and the local arts community.
• Photographed, edited, and captioned 90 percent of the paper's photo content.
• Transitioned paper from 75 percent paste-up to 75 percent pagination.
• Assisted with the pagination, layout, and design of full-page and double-trucked features as well as special tabloid editions, including home and garden, fall football, and graduation.
• Developed and maintained website.
• Fostered community relations through active involvement with the West Alabama Chamber of Commerce, Northport Merchants' Association, and other civic groups.
• Earned a laurel from Columbia Journalism Review in Sept/Oct. 2002 for the ethical stance which resulted in my departure from the paper.
Bay Area News Network
Reporter/Photographer, 1988 - 1991
• Covered news, sports, and feature stories as a paid contributor for The Tillman's Corner News and Mobile County News during my sophomore through senior year in high school.
• Provided two to three articles per week while working part-time as a veterinarian's assistant and maintaining a 4.16 GPA.