- Stanford University
Civil Innovation, Social Entrepreneur, Disaster Response, Creativity in Education and Technologies for Human Development expert with over 20 years of field experience on strategy creation and project development for international organizations, government agencies, academic institutions, private corporations and non-profit organizations in Asia, USA, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Featured by CNN as one of 20 Latin American Leaders of the Internet, honoured as Digital Vision Fellow at Stanford University and Social Entrepreneur in Residence at the National University of Singapore, recipient of Google Developing World Scholarship and Bill and Melinda Gates TED Global Scholarship and acknowledged by NMC at MIT as one of Six Emerging Leaders, Scholars and Entrepreneurs.
I have been fortunate to work and learn from people, communities and processes from remote Caribbean mountain villages to the depths of the Amazon Basin, from challenged settlements on the snowcapped summits of the Andes and underprivileged urban youth to thriving modern cities of Asia as well as the very specific particular environment of jails and disaster stricken developed and developing world populations.
My work includes design of education and innovation strategies, crowdfunding and crowdsourcing platforms, regional research and assessment of technologies in public sector, hackathons, workshops, conferences, events and development of e-government, e-commerce and citizen engagement platforms.
Founder of Multiple Social Start-Ups
- Civil Innovation Lab, running the last mile in social innovation to deliver social and civil impact from technology. (2013)
- Relief 2.0, disaster response and recovery initiative with inclusion, dignity and generation of wealth and opportunities in Haiti and Japan. (2010)
- Educar.org, educational portal and community of 2 million teachers and students. (1998)
- BibliotecasVirtuales.com, e-library and community of 1 million literature fans. (1998)
- CIVILA.com, Virtual Latin Cities, early social network with over 3 million active people. (1996)
Acknowledgments and Highlights
- Named at Forbes as an "established (latino) leader" in Silicon Valley. (2013, go.socinfo.com/forbes)
- Six Emerging Leaders Scholars and Entrepreneurs, New Media Consortium at MIT. (2012, go.relief20.com/mit-video)
- Guest on-board Educator, Peace Boat. (2011, go.relief20.com/peaceboat)
- Social Entrepreneur in Residence, National University of Singapore (2010-11).
- Public ICT Researcher, United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and Caribbean (2006, go.socinfo.com/eclac)
- Digital Vision Fellow, Stanford University (2004-05).
- Awarded the Google Developing World Scholarship (2004).
- "20 Latin American Leaders of the Internet" (CNN, 2000). (go.socinfo.com/cnn20)
TED/TEDx Global Community
- Active member of the TEDx community since 2009.
- Curator of TEDxEarthquake9.0 (Japan), TEDxKRP (Singapore), TEDxPortauPrince (Haití) and TEDxSantoDomingo (Dominican Republic) conferences.
- Speaker at TEDxTokyo (youtu.be/f0_cGEDA4Rk, Japan), TEDxSilkRoad (youtu.be/Pmd7TGjXG7k, Turkey) and TEDxUChicago (youtu.be/ytnCBpMJB_Q, USA).
- Bill and Melinda Gates TEDGlobal Scholarship Recipient. (petit.tedxportauprince.com/tedglobal)
- TEDxSummit in Doha, Qatar and TEDGlobal in Edinburgh, Scotland attendee.
- Civil Innovation LabFounder, 2013 - present
- BibliotecasVirtuales.comFounder, 1998 - present
- CIVILA.comFounder, 1996 - present
- Educar.orgFounder, 1998 - present
- Relief 2.0Global Coordinator, 2010 - present
- National University of SingaporeSocial Entrepreneur in Residence, 2010 - 2011
- Procuraduría General de la RepúblicaInnovation and Technology Consultant, 2013 - presentResponsible for redesign of public oriented processes and internal administrative systems, reducing completion times of tasks from over 2 hours to minutes. Launching an Legal, Judicial and Crime Fighting innovation strategy.
- 9-1-1IT Expert, 2015 - 2016Part of expert team tasked with design of IT specs for regional 9-1-1 service, from networks and cabling, to data center, access control and surveillance.
- TEDxSantoDomingoCo-Host, 2009 - presentHosting and curating TEDxSantoDomingo many events.
- TEDxPortauPrinceCo-host, 2011 - 2014Organizing and hosting multiple TEDxPortauPrince events.
- TEDxKRPOrganizer, 2011 - 2011Organizing TEDxKRP at National University of Singapore (at Kent Ridge Park)
- TEDxEarthquake9.0Co-Host, 2011 - 2011Organizing multi-sector TEDx events after Japan's earthquake.
Humble Book Bundle: Hacking presented by No Starch Press
Pay what you want and support the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Pixar Vets Reinvent Speech Recognition So It Works for Kids | WIRED
Oren Jacob and his daughter Tobey had just finished Skyping with some family members when his daughter, then 7-years-old, picked up Jacob’s
DipJar Raises Funding For A Tip Jar Where You Pay With Plastic, Not Spar...
The move to a more "cashless" society has not been without its victims - namely, those whose incomes relied on the spare change and small do
How to win the Artificial Intelligence XPrize at TED | SocInfo
I think that it would actually not be "too hard" to win the prize. Here's how: Have the Artificial Intelligence make a presentation that hig
Launching the Civil Innovation Lab Book Club | Civil Innovation Lab
Starting this week we will be coordinating shared readings, comments, reviews, ideas, etc. on interesting books that inspire us and show the
Nigeria Peace Building Map upgrade (just in time for the holidays!), lin...
Peace. Yes! Embrace it.
TeamViewer – Access your computer remotely and share your desktop with f...
Remote Control any computer within seconds as if you were sitting right in front of it and host online meetings and presentations easily ove
Ilusión Optica de Craik–O'Brien–Cornsweet: Ambos cuadros son del mismo c...
El cuadro superior y el inferior son del mismo color! Coloca tu dedo en forma horizontal cubriendo el espacio entre el cuadro gris de arriba
International Workshop on Behavior Design: Innovation, Business and Soci...
An intense and intimate hands-on, action based workshop on product, service and process design with the most advanced methodologies develope
Community Workshop for Social Resilience in Jimaní | Civil Innovation Lab
An engaging morning of hands-on strategy definition, experimentation and validation to produce mutually beneficial relationships for stakeho
ZEN PENCILS - 128. BILL WATTERSON: A cartoonist’s advice
Bill Watterson is the artist and creator of (in my humble opinion) the greatest comic strip of all time, Calvin and Hobbes. I was a bit too
LOOK: 21 Reasons A Dog Is The Best Investment You Will Ever Make
Are you tired of being let down by life?
The Humble Bundle for Android #3: Pay what you want for nine epic games ...
Pay whatever you want to get Anomaly: Warzone Earth, BIT.TRIP BEAT, EDGE, Fieldrunners, Osmos, Uplink, SpaceChem, Spirits, World of Goo, and
OpenSignalMaps - Crowdsourced Coverage Maps - About Us
Download our Signal Radar iPhone app to see nearby towers and signal information.