My current vote for GOTY 2015 is UNDERTALE, an awesome, quirky, cleverly designed indie JRPG with fun characters and monsters, a catchy soundtrack, and some unique mechanics and storytelling. It's not an expensive ($10) game or a long (5-7 hours maybe) one. It's definitely worth playing without spoilers if you can.
I strongly advise avoiding spoilers and going in cold for the most enjoyable experience. I'm not usually a completionist with RPGs, but this is one that has me starting my third play-through to experience some additional different choices...About This Game:
Welcome to UNDERTALE. In this RPG, you control a human who falls underground into the world of monsters. Now you must find your way out... or stay trapped forever.Features:
- Killing is unnecessary: negotiate out of danger using the unique battle system.
- Time your attacks for extra damage, then dodge enemy attacks in a style reminiscent of top-down shooters.
- Original art and soundtrack brimming with personality.
- Soulful, character-rich story with an emphasis on humor.
- Created mostly by one person.
- Become friends with all of the bosses!
- At least 5 dogs.
- You can date a skeleton.
- Hmmm... now there are 6 dogs...?
- Maybe you won't want to date the skeleton.
- I thought I found a 7th dog, but it was actually just the 3rd dog.
- If you play this game, can you count the dogs for me...? I'm not good at it. Reviews:
“The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.”
10/10 – Destructoid
“I have a couple of issues with the user interface.”
10/10 – PCInvasion
“If there’s a criticism to be had, it’s that sometimes Toby Fox doesn’t know when to let a joke go.”
10/10 – The Jimquisition