Melissa Joy Kong is Head of Content at Eventbrite, former CEO of Technori, and has traveled the US in search of the best love stories. BS: What do you do for a living, and how did you get there? MJK: I fell in love with journalism and storytelling when I…
In the studio or en plein air, it’s common for a painter to use an easel to hold her/his canvas. Like a tripod or stool, the easel has three legs to provide support. Three points provide great stability. This month, I have been studying two things:…
Some of my favorite singers, like Mavis Staples [pictured], are old. She is 75, and has been active since 1950. Willie Nelson, active since 1956, is 81. Johnny Cash was 71 when he died, and he performed during the last three months of his life. He was…
Perspective is almost an optical illusion that gets better with time and distance. It’s difficult to see your current situation clearly but so easy to recognize problems in hindsight or when you evaluate other people. That is why you are great at giving…
I hate the word “content” to describe the words that go into a blog post, article, or page. It is demeaning. “Content” reduces the value of your thoughts into some cheap commodity that is placed to generate clicks or email registrations or page views. It…
- Brian SmithBusiness Strategist, 2006 - presentPeople hire Brian Smith to provide critical insight for contemporary market problems. A recognized expert in innovation and creative problem solving, Smith believes that most organizations already possess the power to excel. He utilizes novel and unorthodox approaches to help clients to respond to challenges with their own power. Smith is a progressive and pioneering strategist. He has led branding and sales efforts for two startup retail companies, expanded revenue for financial firms and creative agencies, and promoted a Broadway show.
- Black Sheep FarmsFarmer, 2008 - 2014
- REBEL INTERACTIVEBrand Manager, 2009 - 2013
- Mad GringoE-Commerce Manager, 2008 - 2009
- The Tea SmithMarketing Director, 2004 - 2006
- TierOne BankSr. Consumer Loan Officer, 2001 - 2004
- Commercial Federal BankPersonal Banker, 1996 - 2001
Brian Smith is a recognized expert in innovation and creative problem solving. He works with change makers to create bigger, better results through honesty, empathy, and action in a connected world.
Smith is a progressive and pioneering strategist. He has led branding and sales efforts for two startup retail companies, expanded revenue for financial firms and creative agencies, and promoted a Broadway show.
Since 2009, Smith has been an active member of the global TED community and is the founding curator of TEDxOmaha. He serves on the Board of Trustees for the Business Ethics Alliance.
From Brian – “I believe that we are built for change. The difference between the past and future is defined by what we do now. Every person has the power – and responsibility – to create a better world. I work with change makers to create bigger, better results through honesty, empathy, and action in a connected world.”