- Ball State UniversityAssociate Professor, Co-Director Center for EMDD, 2009 - present
- Northern Kentucky UniversityAssistant Professor, 2006 - 2009
- MIT's Technology ReviewProducer/Editor, 2004 - 2006
- Dungeons & DreamersAuthor, 2002 - 2003
- Wired NewsMultimedia Reporter, 2000 - 2002
- WiredEditorial Assistant, 1999 - 2000
- Currently, I'm finishing up the second edition of Dungeons & Dreamers: The story of how virtual worlds became global communities, with my co-author John Borland. Expect that in September 2013 through Carnegie Mellon's ETC Press.
- My next book, So Far Appalachia: An American mythology told through the eyes of the Bakers of Buckinghamshire, will be out in September 2014 through the Appalachian Geek press.
- Indiana University-Purdue University IndianapolisHuman-Computer Interaction (graduate certificate), 2011 - 2013UX and UI design; paper and high-fidelity prototyping; psychology of human-computer interaction; user-centered design and its process
- University of California, Berkeley J-SchoolM.J, Journalism, New Media, 1998 - 2000computer-assisted reporting; community reporting; emerging and new media
- Miami UniversityB.A, Communication Education, 1990 - 1994
- Loveland Hurst High School1986 - 1990
November at The Geeky Press: Writers Jam, Podcasts, and New Events
6 Authors. 1 Stage. Wednesday, Nov. 12 at 6:30 @ Indy Reads Books. That time is upon us once again. In just a week our Vol. 2 authors will g
Dungeons & Dreamers (2nd Edition) now available from ETC Press | DiGRA
In 1974, Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson published the tabletop game Dungeons & Dragons, a fantasy role-playing game. Through the next 40 years,
Book Review: Dungeons & Dreamers - Geeks of Doom
Dungeons & Dreamers A story of how computer games created a global community Paperback | Kindle Edition Written by Brad King and John Borlan
The Race For the New York Times List | Author Brian D. Meeks
And they're off… As this week's crop of books with an eye toward the New York Times list come out of the gate Henry Wood Detective Agency is
Reasons to Be Optimistic During the Disruption of Publishing
Many aspects about the evolving business model for writing and writers remain confusing, but we have good reason to be optimistic about the
CrossFit Games Champion Annie Thorisdottir: The Fittest Woman in the Wor...
For Annie Thorisdottir, the fittest woman on the planet, working out means pushing her body to the outer limits of performance—and crushing
Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of How Computer Games Created a Global ...
Travis Hawks reviews Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of How Computer Games Created a Global Community, . Come see how it turned out!
Damaged Goods: A Little Messed Up, and a Tiny Bit Broken
Author of Dungeons & Dreamers and Damaged Goods
a review of Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of how Computer Games Creat...
The book is absolutely fantastic! While one of the main characters is Richard Garriott it certainly is not limited to him. Dr. Cat, Starr Lo
Symbioto, Skully, TrustEv, ThriveOn, Way Go, SambaDotMe Take SXSW ‘Accel...
Sunday evening at the SXSW conference, MCs Bob Metcalfe and Brad King announced the winners of the “Accelerator” competition in multiple cat
NASA celebrates Valentine's Day with 'heart-shaped' photogra...
NASA celebrates Valentine's Day with 'heart-shaped' photographs from space - NASA's Instagram account, over the last couple of days, has spa