I use Chromemote (a Chrome browser app) on my Mac notebook as one of my primary remote controls for my Google TVs. I spend a fair amount of time on the Mac, so having it always open in a Chrome browser tab is pretty handy.
The new 64 bit version of Chrome (beta version 38 or later) breaks Chromemote. For a while, I switched back to the stable version 37 release, but eventually automatic updating got me. The good news is that I've worked through the (previously undocumented?) steps needed to fix it.
When Chromemote breaks, it will either 1) stop communicating with the Google TV or 2) simply do nothing. So, if Chromemote breaks, do the following...
1) Upgrade to Chromemote 2 if you are not already using it. Upgrade to the latest version if you are already using it. Install it from the Chromemote.com web site. A search for it in the Chrome App Store returns no matches. It is in the store. You can confirm that using a link from Chromemote.com. I just can’t find it using the Chrome App Store’s search.
2) Use the App Store on your Google TV to install the AnyMote app on your Google TV. Explanation: Since Google (in Chrome) has deprecated a plug-in that Chromemote 1 relied on, the NPAPI plug-in, Chromemote 2 has added an additional method of communications, AnyMote.
3) Change the Chromemote 2 settings to use AnyMote instead of NPAPI. Go to settings. a) Enter the IP address of the Google TV that has AnyMote installed. You might want to set your router or the Google TV to use a fixed IP address. b) Uncheck the selection to use NPAPI.
4) If you’re using and relying on Chromemote, go make a donation to say thanks for the work necessary to keep it working.
I did all of these steps, but not necessarily in the order above. If the steps don’t work for you, you may may have to repeat one or more.
I encountered a couple of bugs after making the changes. 1) the number keys stopped working. 2) attempts to download the GTV app list or channel list to Chromemote crash the Anymote app on the GTV.http://chromemote.com/