It has been perhaps more than a decade since I last designed my own imaginary world map, but the other day I felt compelled to make one. To help people understand the map, here's a legend I found online that uses relatively similar symbols: http://www.canmaps.com/topo/help/05-topographic-map-symbols-map-keys.htm You can see the full sized map here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/billy_wilson/17580991904/sizes/o/
This particular map that I produced is of a city called Alexandra, the principal city and port of Zellieland. The city is situated on a rough glacially carved landscape near the ocean. Since the landscape is very rugged and dynamic the city has to conform to the lay of the land. This causes the urban areas to be more spread out, with distinct neighbourhoods forming within the different valleys and more gently undulating areas.
In gently undulating areas where urbanization hasn't sprung up, there are apple orchards. Aside from the urban areas and orchards, the rest of the land is covered by forests, mountains, and moving streams. There are many paths leading to camps and cottages situated on the many lakes in the area.
Due to the elevation that the many streams in the area drop, the area is very conductive to the production of hydroelectric power. In the northwestern part of the map is the Big Dam and Powerhouse, which is situated on the Great Slice River and regulates the outflow of Greater Slice Lake. From this powerhouse three high voltage transmission lines originate. One of which heads north of the city, the other two go to the industrial area around the city's harbour.
The area around the harbour is heavily industrialized possessing many rail yards, quays, and docks, a roundhouse, container port, oil refinery, tank farm, steel mill, toy factory, and a paper mill. Access to the harbour is controlled by a lock which regulates the water level within the harbour independently of the tidal fluctuations of the ocean. The route to the harbour from the ocean goes through a series of glacial channels found behind Cork Island. The main exports of the city include; steel beams and coils, paper, plush toys, refined petroleum products, and apples.
The transportation structure of the city is relatively unique in that it is designed to be reliant on rail transportation, opposed to personal automobile transportation. All of the neighbourhoods are connected by a rapid transit system that can easily bring the inhabitants to any other place in the city.
Although the urban areas are decentralized, the services and industry are fairly centralized. The Central area, located around Alexandra Channel, contains the meeting house, community centre, hospital, senior home (beside the hospital, both with a view of Alexandra Channel) arena, marina, museum, central high school, cemetery, University of Alexandra, and a ferry service.
The meeting house is situated high upon a hill and is serviced by a funicular to assist those whose mobility is limited.
Although the high school and university are centralized, each neighbourhood possesses its own elementary school, park, fire hall, and at least one rapid transit station.
Among the attractions of the area other than the many trails, cottages, camps, and lakes, include the Zellie Skiing Resort and the Anarchy Beach and Camp Ground. The ski resort is situated on Great Zellie Mountain, which on the map is situated at the top to the left. The beach and camp ground are situated at the very bottom of the map on the Firth of Anarchy.
A large area of land to the right on the map is allocated to the Tuly Hills Wildlife Refuge. The area possesses a rare endemic species of bear known as the tuly bear. The tuly bear is largely identified by its light pinkish fur. Sometimes a population of the bear can be found climbing Zellie Mountain.
Many of the places found in and around the city of Alexandra are named after places in the American Southwest, Ireland, Scotland, and Romania, as well as quite a number of postmodern theorists.
Some similar real life examples of this place include:
- Johnstown, Pennsylvania: Possesses a similar urban settlement pattern and a funicular: https://email@example.com,-78.9222783,9724m/data=!3m1!1e3
- Area south of Wawa, Ontario: Glacially carved landscape with elongated lakes: https://firstname.lastname@example.org,-84.8321995,4275m/data=!3m1!1e3
For information related to my architectural, historical, and data related work you can see a list of the articles that I've written related to this here: http://www.thebillywilson.com/p/population-data-articles.html
- Algoma University CollegeChemistry and Biology, 2007 - 2011
I follow my passions & do a wide variety of different projects including:
- An online variety show.
- An inspirational video series about mental disabilities.
- Nature videos.
- Pre-1900 architectural design drawings.
- I collect & publish historic population data.
- A blog.
- I don’t drink alcohol.
- I'm working on an inspirational video series about mental disabilities.
- I believe the greatest strength is in admitting your weakness.
- Nothing makes me happier than someone showing true appreciation for who I am & what I do.
- I explore Google Street View until 4am in the morning to unwind.
- I’d like to be in love.
- My favourite video games as a child were Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Super Mario World.
- I have a giant cat named Tibby that makes appearances in all of my shows.
- It makes me feel so good when people are excited to meet each other on my show.
- I’m extremely introverted.
- Maps, coins, & Digimon cards are some of the things I’ve collected over my life.
- I used to love to have late night snacks of light peanut butter & old cheddar on soda crackers.
- Not a Religious Person.
- I began to get more into photography around 2007/2008 when I got my first digital cameras.
- Halloween baby.
- I love the use of trains for public transportation.
- As a small child I had a thing for fancy liquor bottles & wanted all of my birthday cakes to have ornamental ones on them.
- I make my own maple syrup in the springtime.
- I can name every country currently in the world.
- I was diagnosed with anxiety & depression around 7-8 years old.
- As a child I loved Winnie the Pooh & Thomas the Tank Engine.
- I was a Boy Scout.
- As a child I loved reading Garfield comic books.
- I love model trains!
- I love pumpkin pie, cheesecake, butter tarts, peanut butter, lemon meringue pie, naomi bars, & fruit cake.
- My likes in music change based on my mood & what's going on in my life.
- I love finding waterfalls nobody knows about. I also have a fascination for running water in general.
- I don’t eat butter or margarine.
- I like places where human environments & water meet.
- A better understanding of my life & passions can be found by reading my short free ebook. (download for any decent quality)
- I don't drive.
- One of my biggest fears is being in a room filled with balloons and excited children. The anticipation...
- I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 years of age.
- I've never owned a mobile phone or texted before.
- I feel like my variety show is a reflection of my own distracted fleeting ADHD self bouncing around.
- I'm afraid of needles.
- I like independent artists making their own path & people who do things they love.
- During adolescence my favourite video games were the Prince of Persia Sands of Time Series & Grand Theft Auto games.
- I was bullied.
- Since a small child I've always liked things that looked realistic & accurate.
- I have body image issues.
- I love to fish really tiny streams for brook trout.
- Never been into sports.
- I’m obsessed with pre-1900 architecture mostly from the English speaking world. (my drawings) Victorian & Georgian architecture excites me.
If you'd like to help support me, my family, projects, & my cat Mr. Tibby, you can become a patron to my work on Patreon. You'll be helping me continue to follow my passions & know that there are people out there who support & care about me & my work. You can also make one time donations through Paypal.
- thebillywilson.comIndependent Researcher, Photographer, etc., present
- thebillywilson.com (current)
Panoramio - Photo of Spencer House London - England
Photo-sharing community. Discover the world through photos.
Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Northeast megalopolis. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Jump to: navigation, search. The Northeast megalopolis along the northern Atla
Performing on The Billy Wilson Show science special | Meri Amber
Today I performed on The Billy Wilson Show, the same show that I made my first Google+ hangout performance debut. I was absolutely stoked to
15 TOP Google+ Photos for November 9 | Plus Extract
Do you wonder what are the TOP photos published by G+ photography enthusiasts on November 9?