1. Yes, it's also International Toilet Day, yes, this is a coincidence.
2. No, not every day is men's day and even today people seem to be throwing considerable effort into ignoring men's problems.
3. No, it's not a day for blaming men and examining the issues men supposedly cause.
There WILL be a parliamentary debate, focussing on male suicide and mental health - subjects close to my heart (and brain) despite 'Sniggergate'. I'm hoping that I helped contribute to the pressure that made this happen with the video I made, which was widely mirrored and linked.
"Objectives of International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models."
So let's try and do that instead of the pointless bickering and snark.
Please show a bloke your appreciation of him in some way today. Tell someone you admire them, appreciate them, recognise everything they do for you.
If you're a guy with mental health issues, as I am, don't suffer alone. Take today as a prompt to reach out to your friends, family, doctors - you're not a burden and people love you and will care for you and help you out.
If you want to campaign, please consider contributing in the following areas:
* Prison & sentencing reform - disproportionately punish and sentence men.
* Education - Where men are lagging behind and graduating far less, where there are hardly any male teachers at primary school, where the environment is increasingly hostile to men.
* Intimate Partner Violence (Domestic Violence) - Where men are almost half of all victims, yet have almost no support or shelters.
* Men's Health - Where our stubbornness and desire not to be a burden mean we do not avail ourselves of medical help as often as we should. Where men's cancers lack research funding compared to women's cancers.
* Men's Mental Health - Where men suicide at almost four times the rate as women.
* Divorce/Family Court - Where versions of the 'tender years' doctrine and other political pressures mean men rarely get full custody and are often left destitute, desperate and suicidal.
* Reproductive Rights - Where men have none, and little effort is made to explore male-centred methods of contraception.
* Fair Trial - Which is under attack, particularly in institutes of higher learning, particularly with regard to sexual charges. Innocent until proven guilty needs to remain a universal.
And many more.
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.
No man is an island - John Donne
You can't nice away insanity, you can't reason with it, you must deal with it, even the negative parts have to be addressed.
They sought peace and harmony ar any cost, AGAIN, buyer beware.
GraphJam: Music and Pop Culture in Charts and Graphs. Let us explain them.
Explaining music, songs and pop culture in charts and graphs. AKA music/song chart memes and funny graphs.
Developer Relations | Google+ Counter | gpc.fm | Lists, Trends & Sta...
A collection of Developer Relations @ Google.
Colbert Teases Monday's Hour-Long Radiohead Special
Earlier this week we broke the news that Monday's Colbert Report would be the show's first ever one-hour broadcast and would feature an inte