3 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- This is visually engaging! But like the Internet meme of a double rainbow I am left pondering: what does it "mean"?Mar 25, 2014
- The title of the course is Law of Data Security and Investigations. The 5-day course teaches professionals how to cope with cyber law and risks.
A key topic is how to weigh digital evidence. I teach that not all evidence of something -- such as evidence of a security breach or evidence of a legal signature -- is worthy of the same weight.
Thus, the mere fact that a data holder sees a hint that the security of its data has been breached does not mean it possesses enough evidence to conclude that it must send breach notices to data subjects.
I use the sign in the photograph above to stress to students that evidence (such as metadata or eyewitness testimony) must be evaluated critically.Mar 25, 2014
- Now that you spell it out, it makes perfect sense. Kind of reminds me of the time back in 1996ish you explained (slowly and carefully) how Public Key Infrastructure and Trusted Certificate Authorities are not the only path for generating valid, enforceable electronic signatures and do not necessarily result in that utopian destination of trust in non-repudiation. Once you connected the dots... it made perfect sense!Mar 25, 2014
- Is there a recording of the class?Mar 28, 2014
- , yes. I teach this 5-day course in three formats:
1. Live, in-classroom (in two weeks I'll teach in Orlando)
2. Live, via webcam - this is what SANS calls "vLive" or "CyberCon"
3. Pre-recorded - this is what SANS calls "OnDemand"
The course and its different formats are described at http://www.sans.org/course/law-data-security-investigations
In the vLive/CyberCon format, students see me live, interacting through the webcam. Students can send me chat questions/comments. vLive/CyberCon is where I wave handheld signs like the Evidence sign in the photo above.
When I teach vLive/CyberCon, SANS records my voice. Then it inserts the (edited) voice recording into SANS' own OnDemand platform. OnDemand is an online, pre-recorded, study-at-your-own pace course. The student hears my voice in relation to slides and notes. The student takes short quizzes along the way to demonstrate that the student is engaged and qualifying for CPE credit.Mar 28, 2014
Add a comment...