So now that I have a not-decrepit computer, I decided to set up a chromium build environment. I downloaded depot_tools and got the source using "fetch --nohooks chromium --nosvn=True". Per the instructions, I remove the "master" branch, make my own, run "git pull", then "gclient sync", which fails saying I have unstaged changes. Apparently I am missing .exe files from native_client and reference_build. After hours of pouring over git documentation, I learned that "git reset --hard" looks like it works, then "git status" still shows the files as deleted, but "git diff --binary" spits out a patch file that contains an encoded representation of the binary data of the remote file, but the patch cannot be applied. After several more hours of trying to build a program that would decode the customized base85 implementation that git uses, I finally realize that it’s my anti-virus blocking git from writing the files to the hard drive. Now I’m happy, but it’s still gonna bug me why my base85 math is wrong.