Looks like Netflix on Ubuntu is a reality now... Albeit unofficial... Keep yours eyes peeled on OMG! Ubuntu! as I will likely be covering this new development there!
50 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Finally, first Steam, now (almost) Netflix. I now only need Windows partitions for my lady friend's iTunes, and IE testing.Nov 15, 2012
- Don't mean to be a downer, but I am not very excited by the use of Wine to achieve this. At the end of the day, this solution is merely a band-aid.
Reminds me of Picasa - how excited everyone was when Picasa ran on Ubuntu/Linux. It did fill a major void in the photo management space at the time. But the user experience was so sub-par, that it died a slow death. Google decided to abandon it - maintaining it was obviously a hassle.
IMHO, nothing can replace a proper native solution. If Netflix works on Chromebook, I refuse to agree that there is a technical reason that keeps it from working on Linux in general.
There's got to be a better way...Nov 16, 2012
- There is a technical reason... DRM can't work on a open platform while on Chrome it is closed.Nov 16, 2012
- This is excellent news, for a couple of reasons. First, Netflix has been a major obstacle to many people using Linux, and this will make a portion of those users happy. Second, the tutorial is very clear and easy to follow. Add a few side-notes for people who arent super tech savvy and it will make a lot of people happy. And it also narrows down the technical components that make Netflix un-linux-friendly.
Of course, Netflix still using Silverlight is ... Grrr. Almost as bad as Flash :/Nov 16, 2012
- I wonder when willwill be a reality in India! I enjoyed it while I was in Canada, especially browsing more time for which movie to watch than actually watching one.Nov 16, 2012
- I don't understand that technical reason since Netflix works on Android/Linux, which while not a free platform, is an open platformNov 16, 2012
- I tend to think using Wine to get it working would result in a sub-par user experience. But hey, I still would appreciate the guys putting in the effort to try out and make things work on Linux :)Nov 16, 2012