“Barack Obama is honest, and I love him for it.”—Margaret, who just turned 106, on why she’s voting for President Obama this fall
2275 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 427 previous comments
- Mike L+1Mr. President, you were great for a while. But now how much of a right-winger are you turning into. I'm on disability benefits, going to college, and planning to get a job. Sad thing is my grandma smokes. Mr. President, not many people knew smoking was bad in the 50's and 60's. She lived in Germany as a kid during WWII and suffered under Hitler. The Nazis took away her friends and relatives to concentration camps (they weren't even Jewish, despite what western media says about Jews being the only group to suffer). They busted my great grandfather's hand and left him to die in the cold winter and left him alone so the Russians could get him so he would be tortured and killed. All this because he fed the French women and children spoils from the Nazis. He himself was not a Nazi, and he was given a different uniform, ordered around, and forced to be the Nazi's made for just not being a Nazi. My grandma and her family were starving, and could not even eat rotten apples from an apple orchard because of one particularly mean Nazi. Here's another interesting story from the war - when she was starving, (even after the war) a black soldier gave her family some extra food from the Americans. The white soldiers did not like this and had him sent away to another post. He wanted to hold and talk to my grandmother and uncle because he himself had kids but hadn't seen them during the war.
Anyhow we now face a new problem. Today we may be forced to givethe greedy people in the insurance industry more money (charging her up to a $5000 premium for smoking). The American government had a lot of smokers themselves back then. Now she's afraid with only getting military benefits from my now dead grandfather (who died from cancer possibly from smoking but more likely all the chemicals this government made him test for defense against the Soviet Union/Vietnam in the military) and social security that she can no longer go to the doctor at all so they don't raise her rates through the roof. My grandfather served in Vietnam getting supplies to American troops and as a mechanic. He of course fought the NVA/Viet Cong, but never really talked about it. Sad thing is, California is a blue state and they plan to counteract this nasty right-wing part of Obamacare. Please do not change sides Mr. President. I do not like the right wingers, nor do I like it when my grandma is about to be made even worse off after an already difficult life. Now, I'm for this smoking increase on younger people (you're kind of foolish to smoke at that age, I myself do not) but now she is going to have to avoid the doctor. Please don't make me have to say "Thanks for getting blood out of a turnip to give to the corporate overlords". And I suggest of you to please amend this bill for smokers at least over 70, if not 60. How did they know smoking was bad for them when the government and media made mass profits off of it? You yourself smoked. You should know this and do something, Mr. President. We need real health care reform. We are NOT going to pay the greedy insurance industry even more money. I've seen them deny cancer patients with brain tumors (unrelated to smoking) any care just to save profits. Tell everyone to stop taking lobbying money from them and stop older smokers from being charged. America already has a horrible health care industry. Let's not make it worse. PS. I wanted to vote for you on the first term, and did cast a ballot for you on your second term. I had, and still have high hopes. Don't let me down.
--Michael LoneyJul 12, 2013
- Right onSep 10, 2013
- Listen lady, don't be jealous that she's going to live twice as old as youDec 10, 2013
- You got that rightMar 29, 2015
- Búnker de PuertoRicoFeb 10, 2016
- Búnker dePuerto ricoFeb 10, 2016