- Center for Progressive RenewalConsultant and Coach, 2013 - present
- Self EmployedScalawag, blogger and consultant on churchy things, 2011 - present
- Mission Bay Community ChurchPastor, 2000 - 2011
A native Northern Californian and 3rd generation Chinese/Filipino, Bruce has lived in San Francisco since 1998. An ordained Presbyterian he was the founding pastor of Mission Bay Community Church and in 2008, he was elected the Moderator of the 218th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA). He now earns his keep as a writer, speaker and consultant/coach with the Center for Progressive Renewal.
In his writing, speaking and living, Bruce is committed to expressing a Christian faith that is beautifully complex, unimaginably just and excruciatingly gracious. He also believes society and the church are strengthend by talking about such issues as: denominationalism and the future church; faith and technology; race and politics, parenting, urban living, etc.
Bruce earned his BA in Asian American Studies, Philosophy and Sociology from San Francisco State Univeristy (1991), his MA from San Francisco Theological Seminary (1995) and an honorary Doctor of Divinity from Austin College (2011).
Bruce is the author of the eBook, The Definitive-ish Guide for Using Social Media in the Church (Shook Foil Books) and Words Matter: Curating health space for helpful conversations on race (2013) his writings can be found on Patheos, The Huffington Post, Red Letter Christians and others.
In his spare time you may find Bruce riding his motorycle, cheering on the Oakland A's, playing Settlers of Catan, tinkering with his fantasy sports teams or chauffeuring his three daughters around The City.
- Pony Express Elementary, Sacramento, CA
- Caroline Wenzel Elementary, Sacramento, CA
- John Cabrillo Elementary, Sacramento, CA
- Sam Brannan Middle School, Sacramento, CA
- Luther Burbank High School, Sacramento, CA
- San Francisco State Univeristy, San Francisco, CA
- San Francisco Theological Seminary, Sacramento, CA