Many of you are familiar with the phrase: "The medium is the message" coined by Canadian media guru Marshall McLuhan in the early ‘60’s.
It was a revolutionary idea.
At that time, the “media” he was referring to was television - a relatively new guest in our living rooms.
He believed that the medium was embedded in the message and therefore we should be the focus of study.
“A medium affects the society in which it plays a role not only by the content delivered over the medium, but also by the characteristics of the medium itself.”
Are we too attached to our favourite platforms?
Is Facebook having a similar impact on how we act and communicate?
Are we paying too much attention and investing too many resources on various social platforms?
With the advent of social media, we have been so busy mastering the tools and platforms that we talk more about and seem to CARE more about what’s on our tool belt than we do about what we're trying to fix or create.
In the ongoing "Forbes: 5 Reasons Google+ Died" discussion, (http://goo.gl/xX9CCl) sums up his post: with these wise words:
“We can like something, even be a fan of it, we can find great personal value in something, but we need to keep our rational, objective evaluation abilities intact. That's especially important if other people look to us for marketing advice.”
Those of us who bear the slings and arrows of ridicule over our choice of Google+ as our favourite social platform have developed a siege mentality and all too quickly circle the wagons when attacked.
We’re the Glee club dodging “Slushies” in the school hallways.
I admit I’m one of those who has championed Google+ and while I continue to do so, I am much less personally invested in it.
I use it for it’s strengths, not just because it’s Google+.
Marketers have to be platform agnostic and a client believer.
What do you think?
Do our personal medium preferences influence our client’s marketing messages?
Join the #RayBunch on Tuesday, April 28th at 12:15pm
On Mobile? Watch on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCXt5J4ElHY
The #RayBunch are:
- The ScottTreatment:www.theSCOTTtreatment.com
- Bowden2Bowden marketing & branding virtual consultancy firm: http://bowden2bowden.com - Twitter:@bowden2bowden
- Business Consulting Advisory Board: http://infusionprinciple.com - Twitter:@jess_dewell
- Google+ Events, Coaching, Digital Strategist: http://www.whatsnextblog.com/ - Twitter:@whatsnext
- Social Strategist & Google+ Specialist - Power Your Business With Social: Visit: rayhiltz.com - Twitter:@rayhiltz
Here are some of our recent shows:
- How to Build Online Communities & Tribes: https://youtu.be/MSnNAFwub9k
- What's Our Line? RayBunch 75th Show: - https://youtu.be/ol5kYGZsHTw
- How to Create Compelling Images for Your Content w/+Dustin W. Stout - https://youtu.be/MH9IMdFASLM?list=PLvdaW-uAxRClPLy8eBDnPc0s4L1C3CVHt
- Is Social Media a Mobocracy? - https://youtu.be/de5glX1qmXQ
- Spring Cleaning Your Digital House - https://youtu.be/IVZ7NqEezBc
View other past Lunch Bunch shows on my YouTube Playlist: -http://goo.gl/6841cD
Subscribe here for my weekly Newsletter: http://goo.gl/EbWkOa
Do you want to be in my #RayBunch show invitation circle?
Reply "yes" or "Maybe" below or leave a comment.