I specialise in editing fiction, and in working with independent authors.
I'm an Advanced member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) (http://www.sfep.org.uk/directory/advanced/entry720.html); founder and member of the Editors' and Proofreaders' Alliance of Northern Ireland (EPANI) (http://www.epani.org.uk/); and a member of the Association of Freelance Editors, Proofreaders and Indexers (AFEPI) (http://www.afepi.ie/buchanan-averill/) based in Dublin.
I am the co-ordinator for the SfEP Northern Ireland group.
In 2014, I was awarded the SfEP Judith Butcher Award for 'raising the profile of the SfEP and the editorial profession, both in Northern Ireland and around the world'.
- Queen's University of BelfastPhD, 2001 - 2004'Recontextualising Mary Tighe' - about the Anglo-Irish poet Mary Tighe (1772-1810)
- Queen's University of BelfastMA in Modern Literary Studies, 1999 - 2000with Distinction
- Queen's University of BelfastBA (Hons) English, 1995 - 1998First class
- Belfast College of Further Education'A' Levels, 1993 - 1995History; English Literature
- Rupert Stanley College of Further EducationFine Arts Studies with Distinction, 1979 - 1980Art college foundation course
- Methodist College Belfast'A' Levels and 'O' Levels, 1972 - 1979'A' Levels: Art; History of Art; French; 'O' Levels: Maths, Eng. Lit; Eng. Lang.; Art; French; German; Geography; Geology
- freelance editor & proofreaderEditor & proofreader, 2004 - present
- Graphic DetailManaging Director, 1986 - 1993I started up and ran a graphic design consultancy
- freelance graphic designerGraphic designer & illustrator, 1981 - 1986
- Nicholson & BassTrainess graphic designer, 1980 - 1981