"You have chosen to be on the wrong side of history." Romney donor Bill White withdrawing support over equality:
43 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 29 previous comments
- your next-to-last paragraph is a really strong point: if the state uses 'marriage' as the mechanism through which couples receive various state benefits, and as long as those benefits are denied to united gay couples because the state does not recognize gay unions as valid, then there's some clear inequality there.
That's a strong argument for gay marriage, but as a matter of the basic equality as laid out in the US constitution, not as a matter of specifically gay rights or of gay marriage itself.
If this is a problem with gay marriage, what's to stop a state from saying, "fine, get married, but now we're gonna get specific and say that these benefits accrue ONLY to heterosexual monogamous couples"? You end up with the same problem. My point is that the argument for gay marriage as a marriage issue will not solve the problem you laid out above.May 15, 2012
- the power of broadcast media..one commercial..and here we go.May 16, 2012
- They should not be allowed to be married by a Christian / Catholic church, let them be married by the state and call it a legal union. Read Corinthians 6:9, then question you religious beliefs. If your god doesn't agree with it your life style, Either change your ways and habits or find a religion that suits you and your beliefs..I'll beat everyone to the punch. I'm unintelligent, ignorant bigot cause I don't understand why people can or would be gay, I want to be a father one day with a child that shares my blood "is that to much to ask for?". only recently through technology and Surrogacy..Which is not natural can to people of the same sex have a children of their own blood but again it only one of that couple actually shares that blood bond not bothMay 16, 2012
- Good point about finding a new religion that is not tied to the past. I wish more people would think like you and dump the dogma that has been brainwashed into them at a young age.May 16, 2012
- "If your god doesn't agree with...your life style, (e)ither change your ways and habits or find a religion that suits you and your beliefs"
hmmm....sooo...if that's what we're doing - if this is the case...then it's not necessarily that people are "ignorant bigots" as a result of following outdated religious dogma; it's that the ignorance and bigotry are already present in someone...that discriminatory attitudes in a given congregation may very well precede its bigoted and ignorant religion.
you know what? that may be the single most accurate insight shared in this comment thread. bravo, sir.
so, then, you have chosen a religion that allows you to openly condemn homosexuality.
now, i might have, if i were you, opted for one that allows me to love everyone unconditionally...but hey, it takes all kinds, i guess!May 16, 2012
- Marriage can be defined any way a religion wants to define it (and the various religions disagree). From a LEGAL standpoint, a marriage is a contract and the only interest a government has is to enforce it when it has been broken. Any competent pair (or even group; good luck with that) of adults should be able to make a contract. The meaning of that contract needs to be spelled out and taught to teenagers in school, and specified to immigrants who enter the country already married. (We do not have the right to dissolve an existing polygamous marriage, IMHO, but if one party seeks to exit the marriage after immigrating, it would be a divorce under US law). Marriages can be solemnized by civil authorities, there is no reason to suppose that religions will be coerced. Catholic priests are not now coerced to marry divorced parties, you know.May 20, 2012
Add a comment...