So I took a six month break from the violin. I hope to finish over Thanksgiving and Christmas. The top is basically finished. This afternoon I'm going to make a bunch of luthier clamps so I can glue the top to the ribs. I have a block of ebony for the finger board, but I made the mistake of looking on Amazon where you can get one already carved for less than $20. Hours of carving hard wood or 20 bucks. Tough decision.
I made a set of luthier clamps. I cut 1" lengths of 1" dowel. Then made a jig by drilling a 1" hole in some scrap to hold the dowel centered while drilled the holes for the bolt. I used stick-on furniture felt to cover the ends.
Anyone know when a Windows build of Python will come out that includes OpenSSL 1.0.1.h which fixes the MITM issue? I see in the issue tracker that the change has been committed and the issue closed. https://bugs.python.org/issue21671
I've learned tons the past few days. It is not possible to drop in OpenSSL DDLs on Windows because OpenSSL is statically linked on the Windows platform. No Windows version of Python from Python.org currently ships with 1.0.1h or higher. So far I've found three options. One, wait for Python.org to spin with the current OpenSSL (>=1.0.1h). No word yet on when this will happen. Two, build your own Python. Three, build your own _ssl.pyd and _hashlib.pyd and drop those into your installed Python. I went with option 3 and so far it seems to be working fine.
I've been stuck for weeks on the front purfling groove. I did the back with a combination of knives, gouges and homemade cutters and just wasn't happy with the results. The specialized tools cost around $100. I didn't want to spend that much on tools I might never use again. I got a 3D printer for Christmas so I thought I would try making one more tool. I designed one similar to one I saw online that mounts to a Dremel. That, an engraving bit and patients worked out fairly well and is much nicer than the back. I'm so glad that's done! Theres just very little room for error.
Tired of working on the plates so today I decided to fit the neck. I cut a paper template that exactly fit the wedge notch in the body. Then I traced that onto the end of the neck. I used a chisel and a sanding block to remove the waste down to the lines.
The room was nice and comfortable. Plenty of free water and US power. I had a nice view of the lake. I thought the food was very good. They even made me box lunches for the office. The staff was friendly and always helpful.