67 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 118 previous comments
- I would love to switch from Dropbox, asprices are better. However there are some issues that need to be addressed first:
1) Speed. Drobbox syncs WAY faster.
2) File structure integrity: if I sync my GDrive between two different machines of the same architecture, I expect the two mirrors to be IDENTICAL mirrors, to the point that "tar cf" on each would "cmp" as identical. There are two issues I have encountered so far:
a) Symlinks are ignored (not even the link is copied)
b) File modes are not respected (chmod 755 on one side and it stays 644 on the other...)
3) Inability to disconnect and re-sync with an existing copy. Dropbox does that, and flags "conflicted" copies as necessary.
Until these can get fixed, I am using GDrive for lots of random documents, but I can't use it for source trees, or other complicated structures were I use internal symlinks, and I can't use it directories of programs or even shell/perl/python scripts (because the +x bit doesn't sync).
Some things Google could add beyond this, to make GDrive irresistible:
4) The option on Android to syncing all or selected folders to the device's local storage (ie /sdcard) like the desktop client does. Dropbox doesn't do this either, and owners of devices with a large capacity would appreciate all their files being magically synced
5) The ability to designate (on Android or Desktop) file structures OUTSIDE of ~/Google Drive which should be synced.
6) The ability to sync/view ALL my Google data (not just Docs) as special directories in the Drive. For example my Google Music could show up in Music/, G+ and Picasa pictures in Photos/, GMail (or at least attachments) in Mail/...Apr 30, 2012
- Apr 30, 2012
- Waiting for #driveforlinuxApr 30, 2012
- Until google can match 25GB free storage by dropbox for HTC One/ box.com with 50GB, drive will be 3rd main cloud storage.Apr 30, 2012
- I agree with Sidik, 5GB just isn't enough storage for a "Primary" account. I still use SkyDrive as my primary as it seems to not reformat my documents like GDocs, the music streams better from it and I have switched to Windows Phone.
We still use GDoc's heavily though as about 90% of our staff is using Android (9% iPhone - and me on WP7) but even the staff is moving towards the MotoDrive (or whatever they called it) because almost all of them have Moto Razr's now...Apr 30, 2012
- I don't have a "Primary" cloud storage service. I have accounts on many of them. 5GB is only pocket change when it comes to storage, so I have to be very selective about what I put there. 5GB is so small, I really only use it as a poor man's temporary network share... to get files from point A to point B that would be too cumbersome otherwise, and to store a few important files. I like the Android widget for GDrive though.May 18, 2012