Following up on yesterday's protip, today we've posted a few more guidelines for creating beautiful Android app icons
on the Android Developers blog. Have any specific #AndroidDesign
questions or comments related to app icons? Let's hear them in the comments below!
For those in a hurry, here's a quick excerpt of some of the key guidelines from the blog post:
• Launcher icons are 48dp square and should be provided for MDPI, HDPI, XHDPI, and XXHDPI densities — at the very least XHDPI and XXHDPI
• The 512px Google Play listing icon should have the same content as the launcher icon, except for minor additional badging.
• Launcher icons should be designed specifically for Android. As per the Pure Android design guidelines, avoid mimicking visual elements and styles from other platforms.
• Launcher icons should be three-dimensional, front view, with a slight perspective as if viewed from above, so that users perceive some depth.
• Launcher icons should have a distinct silhouette, meaning that you should avoid simple square/circle icons and instead opt for unique shapes.