- Human Rights WatchEuropean Media Director, 2013 - present
- International Crisis GroupDirector of Communications, 2003 - 2013
- Institute for War and Peace ReportingTraining Co-ordinator, 2001 - 2003
- Central Europe ReviewEditor-in-Chief, 1999 - 2001
I recently started as European Media Director at Human Rights Watch. For nearly ten years before that, I was Director of Communications at the International Crisis Group, where I worked on peace and security issues around the world with a particular focus on leveraging media coverage for concerted action to prevent and resolve deadly conflicts. In both this position and in my previous work as a journalist covering human rights issues, conflict, post-conflict situations and post-authoritarian transitions, I’ve reported from Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, the Caucasus, Central Asia, Afghanistan, sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and elsewhere, and my articles have appeared in titles like the Financial Times, the Guardian, the Washington Post, the International Herald Tribune and many others. In addition, I've done quite a fair bit of advocacy work and speaking at conferences.
- Cornell University1986 - 1989
- Glasgow University1996 - 1997
- Masaryk University1995 - 1996