I've always been quietly aware that the nice polite racists over at NRO and VDare -- Steve Sailer, John Derbyshire, Charles Murray -- are simply Klansmen with bow-ties. Nonetheless, it's still shocking when one of them goes deeply off the rails like this, but still manages to get his article signed on by his editor.
2 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 12 previous comments
- rone+3The power imbalance is the key point. A white person may well be imperiled by idly going through a black neighborhood; a black person may well be imperiled at any time for any excuse because they're "suspicious", just because they're black.Apr 7, 2012
- - Ahh, so someone who is 'oppressed' (on the 'no power' side of the power balance) should be allowed a voice without charges of racism or other attempts at censure, but someone who is an 'oppressor' should not be. Yet, you claim you want a world of equality. Excuse me if I find this hard to believe. Your actions tell a different tale than your words, and they speak louder.
An observation that even given the facts from both parties, on both party faces far more restrictive environment than the other (who merely has to avoid certain avoidable neighborhoods) is quite apropos. And perhaps the person stating his fear of certain neighborhoods might be able to think harder and come to a different conclusion if this is pointed out. That person will merely become resentful, angry and feel silenced by attempts at censure, and rightfully so. One path has the power to change people's attitude, and one reinforces and cements existing divisions.
I sometimes wonder if the cementing of existing divisions isn't the point. Power can be derived from the fear created by those divisions by playing one side of the division off the other.Apr 7, 2012
- *sigh* Please don't put words into my mouth or fingers. I said no such thing, nor did i even imply it. If you want to build your own little strawman as a launching ramp for your petulant false equivalence rant, you can do that without blaming me for it.Apr 7, 2012
- - raises eyebrows Alright then. I wasn't aware that I was ranting. And I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just restating what I heard you say. If you didn't say that, then I apologize for being mistaken. As for 'petulance', tone is in the ear of the reader on the Internet.Apr 7, 2012
- Dude please. "Excuse me if I find this hard to believe. Your actions tell a different tale than your words, and they speak louder." If that's not petulant, then i probably need a new dictionary.Apr 7, 2012
- : I find the whole concept of trying to figure out rules of who should be blamed for racism and whom the rules permit to be a blameless racist rather queer. Don't mix heuristics with principles.Apr 7, 2012