Do any of you know the average weekly pay of Black men versus Black women?
What about the percentage of Black people in white-collar positions versus blue-collar positions?
As most of us already know, "Labor Day" marks the unofficial last weekend of summer.
Labor Day is also an annual holiday to acknowledge and celebrate the social and economical contributions American workers make to society....
But what does the Black part of today's American workforce look like?
According to the Department of Labor and many other credible sources, here are the numbers:
1) - In total, Africans here in the U.S. make up about 12 percent of the American workforce. That’s about 18,758,000 Black people in a very large workforce of about 155 million people.
2) - Blacks here in the U.S. are overrepresented in the federal government, which was one of the first sectors here in the U.S. to integrate. Just over 20 percent of the entire Black workforce here in the U.S. is employed by federal, state, or the local governments.
3) - Sixty-four percent of Black female workers are in white-collar positions while Fifty percent of Black males hold similar positions.
4) - When it comes to blue-collar jobs, 36 percent of Black men are employed in that sector, compared to only 8 percent of Black women.
5) - The unemployment rate for Black teens here in the U.S. remains much higher than that of white teenagers.
As of July 2014, the unemployment rate for Black teenagers ages 16-19 was 34.9 percent, while the unemployment rate for white teens in the same age group was only 18.3 percent.
6) - Nearly 30 percent of all Black workers here in the U.S. are employed in government, education, health care, industry, construction, retail, or social services.
7) - Although the Black employment rate falls behind that of white workers at every educational level, the gaps are however, much smaller for Blacks with higher education.
For example: The unemployment rate for Blacks here in the U.S. with a college degree stands at 7.1 percent, compared with 3.9 percent for white Americans.
Also, Black males and females with only a high school diploma are currently experiencing a 15.5 percent unemployment rate, compared with 8.4 percent for white Americans with just a high school diploma.
8) - The overall percentage of Blacks here in the American workforce was at 61.7 percent as of July 2014....
Unfortunately, it is the lowest among all racial and ethnic groups here in the U.S.
Brothas and Sistahs, as most of us already know....This is NOT some new phenomenon: Black unemployment has always been much higher than that of white Americans and or Latinos for the past 40 plus years.
9) - The average weekly pay for Black men today is $653.00....For Black women, it’s about $595.00.
10) - Blacks here in the U.S. make up only 2 percent of the high-level executive positions in Fortune 500 companies today.
Hopefully, the information in this post provide a clear paradigm of our current state or position in today's very competitive American workforce.
We still have a lot of work to do in order to be very competitive and or to become an INDEPENDENT race of people here in the U.S.
SELF-AWARENESS, CULTURAL AWARENESS, PRIDE, AMBITION, COMMITMENT, DEDICATION, and of course HIGHER EDUCATION will have to become the primary keys to our overall success and well-being as an entire race or group of people.
Wishing you ALL a safe and pleasant Labor Day!
ALL THOUGHTS WELCOME!
Meet the Amazing Mom Kevin Durant Was Talking About
She’s been called his secret weapon, his biggest fan – and his hero.
TeJai - Phi Beta 100 - Download and Stream | AudioMack
Listen to and Download Phi Beta 100, the new song from TeJai. Written & Produced by Tejai
South Pointe High Graduation 2013 | Local Photos | Rock Hill Herald Online
L-R: Triplets Brittany, Lindsay, and Erica Bradley help each other prepare themselves for graduation from South Pointe High School at Saturd
Why Your Support of ‘Red Tails’ is Important for Black Hollywood - Black...
Ask any black filmmaker and they'll tell you that getting black films made and subsequently released is a difficult task unless your fir
BlackBerry Torch 9860 and 9850 Images and Photo Gallery | CrackBerry.com
Check out BlackBerry Torch 9860 and 9850 Images and Photos!
The Work: Confronting Betrayal and Broken Relationships - @OWNTV
If you have ever been cheated on or cheated on someone else, this week's study guide is designed to support you in gleaning lessons from wha
Home Tutors - Find a Private Tutor | WyzAnt Tutoring
Home · Search; Students. Find a Tutor · Request a Tutor · Invite Friends · Help. Tutors. Tutoring Jobs · About Tutoring with Us · Sign Up ·