Tonight on AC360: Rep. Chris Murphy, who represents Newtown, Connecticut, tweeted: “Walking out of another funeral and was handed the NRA transcript. The most revolting, tone deaf statement I've ever seen.” At 8 and 10pm ET we ask him about his stance and discuss guns, mental health and school safety. What was your reaction to the NRA’s statement?
41 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 36 previous comments
- NRA claims nothing of the sort. I don't want armed guards at these public schools. Maybe the public schools were a bad idea to begin with, I don't know. I haven't seen any public commentary that I consider honest.Dec 23, 2012
- Throwing more guns into the equation will not deter. I noticed that no one who agrees with the NRA on this issue, has commented on the fact that Columbine High School had an armed guard. If it didn't work there... also, the drug analogy is not applicable. If Walmart sold crack cocaine, there would be a lot MORE drug addicts out there. Common sense, folks. There is more than the gun problem (and yes, it is a problem) to what happened at Sandy Hook. We need to look at all of the issues, including gun control, mental health issues, education, parenting... We as a nation owe this to our children and future generations.Dec 23, 2012
- White, black, any color man. You wrote white men place the greatest threat. I do not believe your statement "white men" was appropriate. Rather then just men in general. How often do you see a woman in the news, unless of course its in retaliation of a lover scorn. I just thought your comment of white men could have been simply put as men in general.Jan 3, 2013
- Ok, So I have insomnia, and I came back and read what people wrote. Wow..Skip, You have been blinded by something. Because if you graduated from school in the states, I would assume you would have started your day off the same way as I did. And yes I agree with you 100% there are many more religions in the United States now than there was back in the sixties when I was born. More people have migrated to the US. And I would never deny anyone of worshiping whoever they worship. So to get that out of the way, I would say, that the schools would need to let each child to have a group prayer accordingly to their religion.
And to Gwendolyn, why do you say it has to be angry white men? Why can't it be angry Latino men? Or maybe Angry Mixed-Race Men? You have no right to point the finger at a color of people. The palm of everyone's hands are the same color, we all bleed the same color. God or what ever your "Flavor" is He only created one race...That would be the HUMAN RACE.
And to you Gloria, If the government would legalize pot, the US would be #1 a hell of a lot calmer place. #2. The Debt of the government would be solved. #3 there would be less hatred and crime. Pot calms your nerves. It makes you relax. That is why people with cancer get it prescribed to them by doctors. It helps them with the nausea. You never read in the newspaper that Gloria got high on pot, got in her car and ran over and killed 13 adults at a petting zoo. That is because you don't want to go anywhere once you have smoked it.
The Senate, Congress, House of Reps, and Any one else connected with the President they all need to listen to the people on the streets. Not high flutin people. I am talking about people out in the real world. People that have maybe had a major health crisis and lost their job, and they are relying on disability. I wouldn't think that a person that is not of retirement age could not make it on disability. They need to listen to us. They work for us. We need to take back our country. I just wished for once, I could have 2 hours with the president. I don't care if it would be Mr Obama or the next person in line. But some of you people need to open your eyes look around you...The Senate and the congress...are screwing us. They continue to give themselves huge raises, and they have the best of best health insurance. What makes them so different? They should make no more than a base pay salary. they should be honored to be where they are, we elected them. And they should have to have that same crap ObamaCare that is about to be slammed down our throats. But, they are too good to have that insurance. They will have the best of everything until the day they die.Jan 15, 2013
- I guess I'm pleased to be selected, or something :) but don't really get it. You came to school later than I - I was out by the time you started - but they may have still been doing morning prayer.
My comment was only that community norms would probably be a better guide. Mine was extremely heavily WASP, but others might just as easily have been Ashkenazim. I'm not in the least bit opposed to prayer, and am dismayed at the collapse of the family under welfare, let alone society in general, which is an entirely different topic, but think that - if there is to be one - that it reflects the community would be more appropriate than just "some" prayer. For myself, the three major religions in the world all have the same God, and I'd (personally, understand - I'm more than a bit weird by most folks' standards) welcome prayers from their books.
My apologies, also, for reacting to a poster, rather than the meat of the issue. I don't know the practicalities of placing a guard in each school, or making schools CCW friendly, and encouraging those so endowed to do so immediately, as well as encouraging the ones who might be willing to go through the very arduous (if you're just looking for jonesing on carrying) training and certification process, but I think it beats taking away every weapon which can fire more than one shot without having to reload (the definition of a semi-automatic weapon, which many zealots would have become illegal). Sorry to have reacted to a comment instead of the question...
So, the answer to the question is that I thought it a bit wooden at best, but a reasonable reaction (like having to take off your shoes after the shoe bomber on the airplane) rather than a pro-active prevention measure. Until there is some prevention of the crazies who do this being able to get there by whatever means (in this case, stealing weapons from a family member, but theft from anywhere else isn't all that difficult, so even mental screening isn't a full prevention measure), it won't matter WHAT you take away from the private citizen, the outlaw will always have the weapon - but the private citizen will be unarmed.Jan 15, 2013
- my post said nothing about marijuana. It was clear I was speaking about us a one race. The human race, we need to help our people rather than leave them to their own means. Mental illness is alive and growing, we need to realize this and do something about it. Bullying in schools has to stop. We fall short as a society. Government grows and takes away more and more of our liberties, moving America into a society of comsumers and socialism. I am proud to be an American, but I am NOT proud of our government.Jan 16, 2013