My first adventure in 3D-printing (not counting +Aaron Colwell
's generous tutorial session :)).
I wanted two things:
a) The ability/knowledge/experience to use the 3D printer in the Google Seattle makerspace; and
b) A wireless-charger-friendly cradle for my N6 (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:615406
Pictured below are:
0) (not pictured) first attempt at printing w/ Aaron discovered the primary difficulty with this design: it's just this
much too large to fit in every orientation on the printer's bed in that the print-head's arms bumped into the pins holding the bed down in one place while printing the outline. Plan is to translate the model away from the pins by a bit and try again.
1&2) first failed attempt at solo printing. Still don't know how to translate the design on the bed, but KISSlicer does have a "rotate" functionality so I used that to make the arms hit a different set of pins. Seemed more promising for a bit but the first filled-in layer showed problems immediately. Best guess is that the resulting confusion about the bed's geometry in the machine's model from bumping the pins caused the first layer to be laid down poorly, resulting in a bunch of peel-up on subsequent layers. I aborted that print after 3 or 4 layers since it didn't seem to be correcting itself.
3) Rotating the design differently avoided any bumps on the outline, giving me hope. Pictured is the in-progress result after about 45 minutes (?). At this point everything was smooth so I went off to dinner for 30m and it was still going strong when I got back.
4) After dinner went back to babysitting the print and things seemed fine, but after a while I heard a weird noise and looked up to find the filament wasn't rolling off the spool anymore, because it was wedged under a different loop on the spool. I was able to unjam it by unspooling a bunch and loosening and rewinding, but the problem recurred a few more times in the ensuing 70 minutes, so I was worried about the ultimate result. Had to leave to get the kids from gymnastics and go to the gym.
5) Came back 3h later to find the first ~quarter of the design printed beautifully, but the print-head was moving about an inch above it, still pretending to print, and the spool was on its side, wedged in another over/under problem. Aborted the print, unwedged the spool (this time untying the knot thanks to advice from +Matthew Wilson
) and confirmed printer was fine. Decided to call it a night.
Happily even though only a fraction of the print completed, it's actually enough to hold the phone in the correct position, and I was able to superglue the charger into place. It seems to work. Time will tell whether the glue is enough to support to keep the charger positioned well enough.
I feel like desire a) has been satisfied 100% and desire b) has been satisfied about 50% (100% if it holds, 0% if it falls apart). Thanks, Aaron & Matthew!
[Can't wait to try out the mill & laser-cutter when they come online.]