Grail's mission is to detect cancer at an early-stage, when it can be cured. Grail is building on "ultra-deep sequencing" technology and big data/machine learning to create a highly-accurate pan-cancer blood test. We'll be working on one of the most important problems in the world, and plan to build the best team in the world to make it happen.
My work at Grail is dedicated in remembrance of my wife, Laura. She fought an incredibly brave battle with her cancer, but it was ultimately a losing battle since it was diagnosed so late (at stage 4). If Grail had existed before, and caught her cancer earlier, it's very possible she'd still be with us today. Things don't "happen for a reason", but you can find purpose and meaning in things that do happen. When Grail succeeds, hopefully many, many people and their loved ones can be spared the cancer experience Laura endured.
I'd like to thank my amazing colleagues at Google (/Alphabet) over the last 12 years. I'm honored and humbled by the opportunity to have worked with you, with an extra-special dedication to my teams in Ads, Apps, Maps, and [x]. Google has been like family; I'll miss you dearly.
: +1 (if my vote counts) :P
Sign up for free online course at: https://www.coursera.org/course/startup
The plan is for Georgia Tech to provide the content and professors and to get 60 percent of the revenue, and for Udacity to offer the computer platform, provide course assistants and receive the other 40 percent. The projected budget for the test run starting in January is $3.1 million — including $2 million donated by AT&T, which will use the program to train employees and find potential hires — with $240,000 in profits. By the third year, the projection is for $14.3 million in costs and $4.7 million in profits.
The courses will be online and free for those not seeking a degree; those in the degree program will take proctored exams and have access to tutoring, online office hours and other support services. Students who cannot meet the program’s stringent admission standards may be admitted provisionally and allowed to transfer in if they do well in their first two courses. And students who complete only a few courses would get a certificate."
50 million lines of code and counting: supporting students in open source
Back in 2005, we had an idea to get university students interested in open source software during their summer breaks. That year, we launche
Chuck Eesley: The Future of Technology Entrepreneurship Education
I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionat