- The Mail & GuardianChief Technology Officer, 2013 - present
- The Mail & GuardianGM: Digital Operations, 2012 - 2013
- The Mail & Guardian OnlineDigital Platforms Manager, 2010 - 2012
- Media24 magazinesSocial media & editorial manager, 2009 - 2010
- MWEBProduct manager, 2003 - 2006
- TimeoutdoorsWeb designers, 2001 - 2001
- 24.comProduct manager, 2006 - 2009
I've been working in online publishing since 2001. Starting out as a web designer, I worked for tech start-ups in both Johannesburg and England.
Returning to South Africa in 2002 I joined MWEB’s portal team, which later formed the core of 24.com. While there I cut my teeth building and managing web and social media applications for two of South Africa’s biggest sites: News24.com and mweb.com.
In 2009 I joined Media24 Magazines as their Social Media Manager, with a portfolio including brands like Huisgenoot, YOU, Fairlady, Go!, Men's Health and Sarie.
In July 2010 I became Digital Platforms Manager for the Mail & Guardian Online. Over the next two years I helped launch the M&G iPhone app (the first paid news app in the local market), the first Kindle edition in Africa and the first paid iPad edition of a weekly newspaper in the country.
In May 2012 I was promoted to General Manager of Digital Operations at the M&G, overseeing all of the company’s digital and IT concerns. During the next year I drove the of re-launch mg.co.za, our news portal, which has since grown its readership by over 80% and passed 1 million users for the first time in its history.
In July 2013 I was promoted again to Chief Technology Officer for the Mail & Guardian. This news has yet to sink in completely, so bear with me.
- Rhodes University
- Greenside High