What do you guys think about Google Labs closing? http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/more-wood-behind-fewer-arrows.html This is what I think, more or less http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/20/20-percent/
9 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 20 previous comments
- well, there goes the 20% time too huh...no bueno. I wonder if we'll see some sort of new open source space to have devs and users collaborate and drive innovation with popular add-ons 'graduating' into integration with existing Google products.Jul 20, 2011
- #RIP.#Google #Labs.Rip Google's Innovation Engine.RIP A innovative Company(Once).Long Live Page(Sucking)RankJul 21, 2011
- google should hire other programmers and keep running labs.. a lot of geeks are out there to volunteer too. .. i can't guess what might be going on through google head..Jul 21, 2011
- Thirteen years ago, Steve Jobs closed Apple's Advanced Technology Group (ATG).
This division created QuickTime, Spotlight (V-Twin) search and FireWire among other things. Also the first mass-distributed hyperlink programming platform, HyperCard.
Research & Development at Apple has certainly continued since 1997. A company doesn't need one division to innovate if every division does.Jul 24, 2011
- But Google is NOT Apple.That's the Problem.Jul 25, 2011
- Google doesn't employ volunteers. They're not looking for engineers desperate for a job or experience. They're looking for engineers who are turning down offers left and right. Only cash-strapped companies employ volunteers for any length of time.
Google can afford the financial costs of Google Labs. This isn't a cost-cutting measure; it's a strategic R&D decision.Jul 25, 2011