What to do if you suspect your pet has been poisoned?
If you think that your pet may have eaten, touched or inhaled something that it shouldn’t have, consult our veterinary practice immediately.
Do not try to make your pet sick. Trying to do this can cause other
complications, which may harm your pet.
In an emergency you can help us make an informed decision as to whether your pet needs to be treated by us, and if so, what the best treatment would be. Where possible you should provide us with information on:
•What poison you think your pet has been exposed to
(i.e. chocolate, ibuprofen etc.). Include any product names,
or lists of ingredients if relevant
•How much they may have been exposed to (i.e. 500mg, 500ml,
one tablet etc, even approximations may help)
•When your pet was exposed to the poison
(i.e. 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days ago)
•If your pet has been unwell, and if so, what clinical effects have been seen.
It is easier for a veterinary surgeon to care for a poisoned pet if it is treated sooner rather than later. If you are in any doubt, do not wait for your pet to become unwell before calling for advice.
If you do need to take your pet to our veterinary practice, make sure that you take along any relevant packaging, or a sample of the poison, i.e. parts of plant or fungi. Always make sure that you yourself are protected and can not be poisoned in turn.