Party fighting ghouls at a tunnel entrance. Last ghoul looses initiative but survives. On its turn it paralyses a party member. The next round the ghoul wins initiative and drags the helpless character into the tunnel to kill them. The players object and I relent: it drags the paralyzed character into the tunnel and whoever wants to follow the ghoul and attack can do so. But they all miss. Then we roll initiative again. The ghoul wins and the players object again so we agree to make a morale check (9) and the ghoul makes it, so instead of retreating any further, it kills the helpless character for a little snack. The rest of the party then hacks the ghoul to pieces in a bloody fury.
5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 49 previous comments
- The way I usually handle morale results is the following. On a success the monsters either keep fighting or pull off a strategic retreat. On a failure they either flee in panic or beg for mercy.Apr 26, 2017
- The DM knew the players were going to kill the ghoul so the ghoul hurried up and killed the paralyzed PC before he died. It's a dick move by the DM. Harsh? Within the rules? Why ask this question if it wasn't a dick move? BTW, every person on forums is a DM, nobody posts opinions based on the players perspective(this is where you say, "I play and DM")Apr 27, 2017
- My brain wants to fill in the story. We're the ghouls know for this behavior?
Were they starving? Are they malevolent enough to paralyze, murder and flee, picking them off? Are they murderously spiteful? Was it vengeance against the party? The living? So many story reasons for it to happen.Apr 29, 2017
- Yes, the ghouls killed a another player character the previous session under very similar circumstances. At the time there were two ghouls, though, one dragged away the unconscious character and the other kept guarding the tunnel…Apr 29, 2017
- As for ghouls in general, in my own monster manual, I've described them as follows: "The ghouls are evil hunger spirits, always craving for meat, obsessed with killing and eating, eager to lure you away from your friends, or to scare you into fleeing away into the darkness, to drag you into the depths of the earth, and to devour you dead or alive. They can be found on battlefields after the slaughter and in graveyards, where they dig up fresh corpses to eat.
Ghoul can be creepy dandies, intelligent, articulate, erudite, well dressed, and yet – dead, and hungry for human flesh.
When hit by a ghoul, save vs. paralysis or drop whatever you’re holding, collapse and be unable to move for an hour. Whenever possible, a paralyzed victim will be carried away into the darkness by one of the ghouls while the others continue fighting. The next round, the paralyzed victim is killed and the feasting begins."Apr 29, 2017
- The only thing I may have done different was rolled on an amputation chart and had them do a con save to keep alive. Still, an adventure with one arm missing makes for a bitter player until they get that regeneration spell.Apr 29, 2017
Add a comment...