Startup America Partnership
SUMI Board of Directors, 2011 - present
Focusing on providing private sector resources throughout the startup communities across the United States. Functioning in developing Startup Michigan in assisting entrepreneurs succeed.
- Launch of SUMI with Scott Case (Founding CTO, Priceline.com).
- Sent Steven Robert (CIO of BillHighway) to the White House for the JOBS Act Bill signing.
- Hosted Steve Blank while visiting Michigan and set up GrowDetroit fireside chat with him. Event sold-out in under 48 hours with standing room only (175+ attendees).
- SUMI-executed event at Steelcase (JOBS Act Summit), keynoted by Scott Case and was attended by the majority of the Michigan investment community.
Co-Founder, 2011 - present
Inspired to turn Detroit into a vibrant startup community like Boston, Boulder, and NYC, GrowDetroit is a community of ambitious young entrepreneurs and professionals in Southeast Michigan (Greater Detroit + Ann Arbor regions). Grow hosts events and promotes news with the goal of helping start-ups grow and thrive in Southeast Michigan. Started by a group of local Entrepreneurs, the group also publishes “Grown in the D,” the leading directory of Detroit Start-Ups, Michigan Incubators, Groups & Meetups, and Michigan Venture Firms.
With press mentions in The Daily Beast, Dbusiness, Forbes, The Huffington Post, StartupDigest, TechCrunch, Techonomy, TheNextWeb, and XConomy, Grow Detroit has become one of the leading resources for young entrepreneurs to connect in Michigan.
- Organized a Y-Combinator/TechStars panel along with NxMW event with the University of Michigan (MPowered). Well over 400 students in attendance.
- Sponsorship of Startup Weekend Detroit and arranged keynote speaker (Ryan Blair, Founder/CEO of ViSalus).
- Directly assisted NYT best-selling author David Kirkpatrick and Techonomy team with execution of Techonomy Detroit 2012. Noteworthy guests included Jack Dorsey, Tim Draper, Steve Case, Dan Gilbert and others.
Trustee, 2012 - present
We award $1,000 grants every month, no strings attached, in the name of forwarding the interest of 'Awesome' in the universe.
Founded in Boston, Awesome Foundation chapters are sprouting up around the world, including Providence, New York City, San Francisco, London and Ottawa.
I focus on Awesome News Task Force - supported directly by the Knight Foundation.
Startup Leadership Program
Executive Team, 2011 - present
Selected to the Executive Team based on leadership performance; Assisted in program expansion in Beijing and Chicago. Also, led the initial creation of SLP-Speaker Series (e.g. Brad Feld, Vivek Wadhwa, etc.) for keynotes to the global SLP-Fellow group.
Core focus on developing SLP-Capital; a streamlined approach to assist Fellows throughout the world in their fundraising process through maintaining relationships with angels and VCs and providing an internal feedback system for Fellows.
SLP-Fellows have raised in excess of $300MM in financing.
World Economic Forum
Global Shapers, 2012 - present
World Economic Forum's newest community, a network of city Hubs around the world through which 20-30 years old can network, generate insight and have local impact in their communities. The Global Shapers Community was created to provide youth with a comprehensive platform to shape the future, integrating the personal, community and global dimension. It will catalyze fresh ideas and entrepreneurial solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges.
Startup Leadership Program
Fellow, 2010 - 2011
- Chosen for 9-month highly selective global program and network for startup CEOs consisting of 200+ founders with 100+ startups
- Attended classroom sessions; Organized cases, simulations, panel discussions talks by luminaries and evaluation sessions with leading entrepreneurs and VCs
Founding Team, 2009 - 2011
ENTER is a not-for-profit activity designed to promote and support first-time entrepreneurs, esp at colleges and universities. Events at local colleges and universities connect Boston area students and young entrepreneurs with VCs and successful entrepreneur CEOs/CTOs for mentoring, coaching, and networking.