Chrome Custom Tabs: First Impressions
A new feature of Android M, well not really it's a Chrome feature but it's generally seen as living in the land of Milkshakes and Marshmallows, is Chrome custom tabs. Better than apps using their own webview because it's the normal browser with the user's cache and cookies intact. Better than apps launching the browser normally because that's slow and a jump out of context.
Here is some feedback after making links in episode shownotes open using Chrome custom tabs, in a custom +Player FM
* Opens fast, DNS prefetch seems to work.
* Can choose background color dynamically. Since episode toolbars already match the publisher's artwork, the custom tab color can match it too.
* Can provide a custom icon, ie a play button to play the episode that spawned this link.Could do with more flexibility
* Choose the title. The title is added dynamically based on the content (link text and current web page), but I'd want it to be the object that spawned this. Usually the action icon refers to the Android screen that spawned the web page, not the web page you're looking at.
* Change the icon dynamically. In the example below, it'd be nice if play could be switched to pause once it's playing. I imagine Pinterest would want "Pin It" to become "Pinned" once clicked. Even more wishful, if the app could control this in case an external event changes what the icon's state should be.
* Icon color to be set automatically, as with everything else in the toolbar. Icon color is based on the provided icon image, but would be good if there was an option to make it match everything else in the toolbar (ie it's white below; should be dark).