NSInfo In new sustainability report, Norfolk Southern outlines “what efficiency looks like”
NORFOLK, Va., Aug. 9, 2016 – Cleaner-running locomotives. Greater energy efficiency. Support for safer communities. Fewer workplace injuries. A more diverse workforce.
Those are among key achievements highlighted in Norfolk Southern’s new online sustainability report, “What Efficiency Looks Like.” The report details NS’ progress toward achieving a healthy balance between its business imperatives as a publicly traded company and its environmental and social commitments as a responsible corporate citizen.
“Efficiently moving freight trains across our 22-state network is a cornerstone of sustainability at Norfolk Southern” said CEO Jim Squires. “It’s about turning challenges into daily opportunities – keeping our people and communities safe, providing unequalled customer service, and being a good steward of the resources that contribute to our success.”
“Corporate sustainability at Norfolk Southern means acting responsibly in the conduct of our business, which enhances our ability to grow business,” said Bruno Maestri, vice president government relations and corporate sustainability officer. “We are part of the fabric of the communities where we operate, and we want to add value by what Norfolk Southern brings to our communities.”
Among report highlights, NS in 2015:
· Rolled out a new class of low-emission Eco locomotives at rail yards in Atlanta and Chicago.
· Introduced a custom plug-in engine-heating system at rail yards that reduces unnecessary locomotive idling in cold weather.
· Adopted a five-year goal to improve locomotive fuel efficiency, which will contribute to the company’s goal to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions.
· Returned more than $700 million in dividends to shareholders, representing a 6 percent increase in dividends per share for the year.
· Supported the location of 61 new industries and 32 industry expansions along NS rail lines, representing $4.2 billion in customer investment and more than 6,100 new customer jobs.
· Contributed more than $13.7 million in combined Norfolk Southern Foundation, corporate, and business giving in communities served by the railroad to support human service needs, arts and culture, environment, and education.
· Recorded a 13 percent decline in employee reportable injuries.
· Hired a record number of female employees: 28 percent of management trainees and 7 percent of conductor trainees were women.
· Formed local employee diversity and inclusion councils in each of the railroad’s 10 operating divisions.
· Helped train more than 4,800 local emergency responders in safe response to potential incidents involving transport of product regulated as hazardous material.
The online report can found at www.nssustainability.com.
About Norfolk Southern
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
Jon Glass, 757-629-2789 (email@example.com)
Katie Cook, 757-629-2861 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Google UThe Internet, presentStudying Mac OSX, and now Ubuntu..
- Kearny High SchoolDiploma, 1999 - 2003
- Wikipedia (current)
- Liberty Railfan Productions (current)
- Railroading North American (current)
- North American Railfans Alliance (current)
- Monorails & Maglevs (current)
- Aerial Tramways (current)
- Railroading North America (current)
- Covered Bridges of North America (current)
- Silky Waters (current)
- Wikipedia (current)
- Freelance PhotographyFreelance, 2003 - presentComputer maintenance, but photography is my main passion..
- Kearny Public SchoolsComputer Tech, 2002 - 2008Maintained & upgraded computer IT infrastructure for the Kearny School System, Mixture of Macs, Windows, Servers, Backups, Routers, Cisco and Dell switches, network printers, projectors, Smart Boards, Wifi & cabling..
- Multiple CompaniesIT Consulting, 2003 - 2011From MurTech Consulting to Design Strategy Corporation working with companies such as JP Morgan Chase, & PSEG
NYC Gang Members Accused of Violent 'Hunting Expeditions'
Authorities in New York City have accused 18 alleged gang members of going on 'hunting expeditions' where they cruised around Brooklyn looki
Send anonymous emails with attachments | Anonymousemail.me
Send anonymous email with attachment for free, you can send unlimited emails securely with anonymousemail.me no registration required.
NJ Assembly Candidate Drops Out After Book of Rants Surfaces
A Republican candidate for the state Assembly dropped out of the race after a book he wrote surfaced that includes rants against Asians, gay
NYC School Chorus Surprises Teacher Battling Cancer
A moving video of a New York City elementary school chorus dedicating a song to a teacher battling breast breast cancer has gained the atten
Metro-North Workers to Be Indicted in Cheating Scandal: Sources
About a dozen MTA staffers are expected to be indicted Monday in connection with a sweeping 2014 scandal at the Metro-North Railroad that in
WATCH: Retiring Teacher Break Dances to "Uptown Funk"
Shirley Clements wanted to have a retirement party that was a little more exciting than cake in the break room.
Carl’s Jr., Hardee’s Reveal New "Most American Thickburger" Burger Toppe...
Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s are cramming a summer cookout into one burger. The upcoming menu item is made with a beef patty that is topped with
Driver Ticketed in Train-vs-Car Crash on New Jersey Transit Tracks
A Yonkers couple hit by a train while crossing a set of New Jersey Transit tracks in their vehicle early Sunday morning says there was no be
Exclusive Video: Martina McBride and Sara Evans Perform “Jolene” for New...
CMA Songwriter Series-themed episodes will feature Little Big Town, Brandy Clark and others.
High School Girl Asks Friend to Prom With Help from Jets
This was one touchdown of a promposal — with the help of the New York Jets.