Testing a bit of new hardware and it crashed on me while doing some (very basic) graphics tasks. I thought to myself, "I wonder if this is using a PowerVR SGX GPU?" Looked it up: yep. Even under Android the driver for this GPU is a POS.
18 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Feeling your pain ;)Mar 17, 2014
- Is it the GPU HW or the drivers/sw stack?Mar 17, 2014
- From what I understand, it's the software side of things. The GPU is quite good but the hardware is quite complex, which I imagine doesn't do the driver writers any favors.Mar 17, 2014
- That is another example why Free and open hardware is so important. The manufactors have to deliver open drivers or must support the development of it. That's why it is so important to get improv on its way. Wrote something about it in the improv forum.Mar 17, 2014
- Twice, I have written to Imagination Technologies to extol the benefits of opening the driver for their PowerVR GPU. It never hurts to politely ask for something. Sadly, I have never heard back from them.Mar 17, 2014