We've just announced that we plan to hold Google Summer of Code 2013!
Historically, Google Summer of Code has brought together nearly 6,000 students with over 300 open source projects to create millions of lines of code. We’re looking for mentors and students to join us in making 2013 the best Summer of Code yet!
The Google Summer of Code program is designed to encourage student participation in open source development. Kicking off in 2005, the program has several goals:
• Inspire young developers to begin participating in open source development
• Provide students in Computer Science and related fields the opportunity to do work related to their academic pursuits during the summer
• Give students more exposure to real-world software development scenarios (e.g., distributed development, software licensing questions, mailing-list etiquette, etc.)
• Get more open source code created and released for the benefit of all
• Help open source projects identify and bring in new developers and committers
We’ll be offering successful student contributors a 5,000 USD stipend, enabling them to focus on their coding projects for three months. This program is done completely online. Students and mentors from more than 100 countries have participated in past years.
Google will accept applications from open source projects from March 18–March 29, 2013. Student applications will be accepted from April 22–May 3, 2013.
Find full details on requirements for participating, including how to apply and info on the all-important t-shirt at http://www.google-melange.com
. We hope you'll consider participating as a student, mentor, or organization, or just spreading the word about this great program!