"The major barrier to skill acquisition isn't intellectual... it's emotional." An excellent reminder of how easy it can be to learn a new skill. Kaufman says it only takes 20 hours!
Update: I'd like to add a counterpoint to balance Kaufman's message. I love his talk and it feels intuitively true to me, but there's also another side to the story.
Sometimes it's more fun to learn inefficiently! I love leisurely learning, like following tangents or indulging in reading too many books. :) Every field of study has its own culture and community, its own legends and weird trivia and rich backstories. Exploring and immersing yourself in those strange new cultures is half the fun!
So on top of those 20 hours focused on efficiency, I think it's just as important to have at least a few hours of fun, inefficient, purely exploratory learning.
And unlike what Kaufman says, I think feeling stupid and incompetent is actually the best part! Being a complete beginner at something is a bit like being in love for the first time; everything is completely new, your perception is heightened, and those first experiences are more likely to become lasting memories. And since complete beginners are guaranteed to be stupid and incompetent at first, there's absolutely no pressure!
As for the frustration of learning something completely new, I say embrace it! Frustration is just the build-up to the dopamine rush of the magical "aha!" moment -- you know, when things just "click" and everything suddenly makes sense. It's a rush, isn't it?
And that's my favorite thing about learning: you'll never run out of those "aha!" moments, because there's always something new to learn!
"Josh Kaufman is the author of the #1 international bestseller, 'The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business', as well as the upcoming book 'The First 20 Hours: Mastering the Toughest Part of Learning Anything.' Josh specializes in teaching people from all walks of life how to master practical knowledge and skills. In his talk, he shares how having his first child inspired him to approach learning in a whole new way."
- CEDIMMaster of Business Innovation, 2010 - 2012
- Harding UniversityB.S. in Computer Science, 1994 - 1998
- Mazapan SchoolElementary, Middle and High School, 1982 - 1994
- IdhasoftABAP Consultant, 2014 - presentI attend to the needs of Idhasoft's clients in the US with training, development, and support for our installed solutions.
- WSPABAP Consultant, 2013 - 2014I created SAP data interfaces using BAPIs and extractors, for the Monterrey Institute of Technology, and ABAP ALV reports and pricing formulas for Lamosa and Nemak.
- NEORISABAP Consultant, 2012 - 2013I developed ABAP ALV reports, and SmartForms for Kansas City Southern Railroads. I created a mass-printing report using OpenText technology.
- ERP ConsultoresABAP Consultant, 2011 - 2012I developed SAP SmartForms for AHMSA, Altos Hornos de Mexico, in Monclova, Coahuila
- NEORISABAP Consultant, 2009 - 2011I worked as a senior software engineer in projects with AMD, I developed ABAP reports, web services, interfaces and SAP Workflows and gave ticket-based support to SAP workflows and ABAP jobs with a Service Level Agreement score of 100%.
- Cervecería Cuahtemoc-FemsaABAP Architect, 2009 - 2009For FEMSA, I created the ECC back end for an interface between SAP Workflow and a SAP Java Netweaver front end. I also created interfaces between these using BAPIs and RFC.
- EISEIABAP Developer, 2008 - 2009At EISEI, I created alert systems for a SAP Netweaver installation using remote function calls, web services, and ABAP/4 and SAP Workﬂows. Also I wrote a UDP server and client for a cell phone SMS service using C#. For my final project, I served as Oracle DBA for a document digitalization service for a major Mexican bank.
- IntergroupDeveloper, 2006 - 2008For Aerolineas SOSA, I created an airline reservation and billing application using Visual Basic 6, Debian GNU/Linux and MySQL. I created sales statistics and inventory software for DistRock, a nationwide motion picture distributor. Also, I created a website for a national cell phone registry using Joomla. Finally, I taught an introductory course in programming, using PHP.
- Universidad de Defensa de HondurasUniversity Instructor, 2006 - 2006For the Honduran Military, I taught an introductory programming course using C++ at the Universidad de Defensa.
- UnileverABAP Programmer, 1998 - 1995At Unilever, I created a bill-of-materials cost accounting system for a large factory using Visual Basic 6 and MS SQL Server. Created an IDOC interface between two SAP R3 systems with incompatible versions.
- Buzz (current)
More NSA Spying Fallout: Brazilian President Snubs Obama Invitation, May...
A couple of weeks ago, Techdirt noted that the Brazilian President, Dilma Rousseff, was angry that the NSA had been reading her private emai
Plain Sight, Photos Float Out of Moving Images in Uncanny Video
In an uncanny bit of video trickery, photos seem to float out of moving images in "Plain Sight," an experimental video by London-based video
Latest Leak Shows NSA Engaging In Economic Espionage -- Not Fighting Ter...
As more and more information about the NSA's global surveillance capabilities emerges through leaks of material obtained by Edward Snowden,
Wouldn't It Be Something If We Had A President Who Believed In Liberty? ...
Dan Gillmor has an absolutely fantastic "wishful thinking" speech he'd love to see from a future Presidential candidate, one in which libert
How to Encrypt your Gmail Messages with Google Docs
Worried that someone is reading your email? You can easily encrypt your Gmail messages using the powerful AES encryption algorithm and secur
Key Ingredients To Make Your App Go Viral | Smashing Mobile
This article explains how you can get your app spread faster than celebrity gossip.
Nihilist Toothpaste Has 'No Flavor, No Color, Nothing'
Nihilist Toothpaste is a tube of plain, flavorless toothpaste wrapped up in stark minimalist packaging. If you'd like to brush with a "big d
Beautiful Impressionistic Oil Finger Paintings by Iris Scott
Artist Iris Scott creates beautiful impressionistic oil paintings not with brushes, but with her fingers. The fine art finger paintings cove
How the US Turned Three Pacifists into Violent Terrorists
Roger's note: if this doesn't send a chill up the spine of anyone with spine enough to peacefully challenge US war mongering, then I don't k
Google+ Redesign Looks a Lot Like Facebook, Pinterest
Google announced on Wednesday at its Google I/O conference in San Francisco updates to its Google+ social networking platform, including a n