Seriously though, with the exception of short-term logistics, I hate phone calls. Most of the calls fall into 3 categories:
1) Unsolicited (usually recruiters, because apparently my professional skill set is highly desirable),
2) Very short-term immediate logistics ("hey, I'm just coming around the corner to your house now, get your shoes on and let's go")
3) My mother. Fortunately, she's learned how to text in the last couple of years.
What frustrates me with actual phone calls is how much attention they require, and their (often false) sense of urgency. If I'm texting someone, I can easily be doing other things while I wait for a response or vice versa. With texting, the distractions can work because you can easily reengage full context. In person, the other person is usually engaged in the other activity with you. On the phone, however, the split attention generally translates into a half-engaged conversation, and is generally impolite.
Good work, Kiri. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.
- ScaleOut SoftwareSoftware Engineer, 2011 - present
- Dynon AvionicsSoftware Engineer, 2008 - 2011
- Everett Community College
- JFA, Inc.
- Trade Products, Inc.
- Greenpoint Technologies, Inc.
- Dynon Avionics
- University of Washington, Bothell2008
- University of Washington - Bothell
The US government has betrayed the internet. We need to take it back
Bruce Schneier: The NSA has undermined a fundamental social contract. We engineers built the internet – and now we have to fix it
Humanity Is Getting Verrrrrrry Close to Extinction | VICE United States
We've had a good run, but the Near Term Extinction movement and others are saying that it's pretty much over for humans. Oh well.
Download me—Saying “yes” to the Web’s most dangerous search terms
Seeking "free games" and getting burned by illicit downloads is so 2008, right?
Skype with care – Microsoft is reading everything you write - The H Secu...
If you thought Skype messaging was private, think again. The H's associates at heise Security have discovered that Skype/Microsoft analyses
3 Things Dungeon World Is Doing That Should Be In Your Game | Gnome Stew...
About All articles by Connect with me on
T-Mobile Galaxy S II gets USB host Support | AndroidSPIN
The Galaxy S II launch may have been slightly over shadowed only a few weeks later by the announcement of the Galaxy Nexus. Does that in any