Is it a good idea to to re-impose taxes on expatriates like Saverin who make millions then flee the United States to take up residence in a foreign country?
Senators to Unveil the 'Ex-Patriot Act' to Respond to Facebook's Saverin's Tax 'Scheme'
Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has a status update for Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin: Stop attempting to dodge your taxes by renouncing your U.S. citizenship or never come to back to the U.S. again...
5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 17 previous comments
- Did you see the Apple profits? Are they at Foxconn because they don't want to pay their workers a fair salary? in the US? Should they benefit from huge tax breaks for pushing American workers out for Chinese? Your cold assessment of the realities of economics will do nothing to understand the anger of a worker who spent 20 years growing a company only to have that company say.. we don't need you we can make this product in China and we don't have to follow all your stupid tax rules either.May 17, 2012
- Not a "cold assessment". Just the realities of economics and the American capitalist system. Again, I am not arguing politics or emotions. I may not agree with all that is happening. I just understand why it is happening. And that is the first step. We cannot propose a logical and meaningful fix without understanding it logically first.May 17, 2012
- I agree. Knowledge is power. Having said that... Corporations are NOT people but they do employ people. There has to be a synthesis around becoming a community based company that enjoys profit but also sees to the needs of it's workers. It is just good practice for keeping good employees and retaining brain power. Apple in the beginning was that company. When Woz left that part of the equation died.May 17, 2012
- Perhaps the solution is to force him to stay in the US so he can be forced to pay taxes here. Perhaps he could be labelled an 'enemy combatant' for his defiance of the IRS tax laws, or simply labelled a "republican" because he chooses to go to a country where the taxes are lower. Have we forgotten that we are a democracy, and people can make choices? Are we so far along in our socialist conversion under Obama that we need to create camps to force people to do what the Government wants? Or is Schumer doing once again what he always seems to do--create some crisis, issue press releases, and then go on to the next crisis?May 17, 2012
- All good questions John.May 17, 2012
- it's his money, let him keep it. why do people think they should take other peoples money?May 19, 2012